From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.08 [en] (Win98; I ;Nav)
When submitting form data in a [multipart/form-data] form from some browsers (not all? Konqueror 2.1beta2, Netscape 4.76 will do
it for sure), an extra newline is placed before all incoming data. So, if your php script is called with <input type=text name=test
value="123">, the php script will be handed $test = "\r\n123". (not sure if it is \r\n or \n\r -- I know the hex is 0x0D then 0x0A.
You can probably test this with a smaller example than the one I will illustrate below (like a simple php script that takes a couple
parameters and a file, and is set to multipart/form-data). However, I am sure the one below will produce errors.
To illustrate the problem on your own machine, simply install PHP 4.04pl1-3, then go to http://www.squirrelmail.org and download
version 1.0. Install it, set it up, and try to send a message. If only 1.0.1 is out, you can use that too. Just install 1.0.1, set it up,
then edit compose.php and look for a section labeled "Workaround for RedHat PHP 4.0.4pl1-3" and just comment it out. That
should make the error appear again.
The compose form will try to send itself data (because the compose form shows the form and also has the sending functionality
in), then forward to the message list. Somewhere in there, the $mailbox you are viewing get changed to have the "\r\n" in front.
Here is a report from someone else that might provide more insight:
Once again, I get this WEIRD "SELECT" error for SquirrelMail 1.0pre1, 1.0pre2, and 1.0 (I skipped 1.0pre3 and do not get the
CVS) only if and only if I use Red Hat's RPM of PHP 4.0.4pl1-3. When I uninstall the PHP RPM and install it straight from the PHP
source for 4.0.4pl1, the problem goes away. Just to be sure, I then installed the RPM
again and saw the problem return. I am not sure which part of PHP could be causing this, so I am not sure where to look for
differences. I am running Red Hat 7.0 w/all updates (except for PHP), just like Gary MacKay was. This problem is not browser
And another message:
I spent the past few hours debugging the weird errors some people are recieving when sending messages. Luckily my roommate is
getting these errors (Konq 2.1beta2), so I have a good test platform to fix this. Below is what I found.
The problem lies in our form tag friend: ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data". If you remember, this past summer I had all kinds of
trouble with Netscape and this form parameter. Anyway, when I sniffed the traffic from my browser (which sends correctly) and my
roommate's (doesn't send), the exact same form data is being sent, so that part is fine.
However, directly after the form is submitted, the variables as rendered by PHP are different (even though the form data is the
same). From Konq, every entry has extra whitespace (new lines) at the end. Through Netscape, it doesn't. I have narrowed the
problem down as far as I know how, and the only layer between them now is PHP. The only thing I can think of is that PHP
doesn't like Konq's response and adds newlines to the variable.
As a fix, I took those variables and am trimming them. There are 6 or 7 of them, so it isn't all that bad. There is nothing else I know
to do. It's not too bad, really, and at least we don't have to make special cases for browsers (which I am adamently against).
So, please check out CVS and see if this fixes your problems. Thanks for bearing with us. Sorry for all the problems!! Let me
know if this fixes the problem so we can release 1.0.1 ASAP.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install RedHat 7 with PHP 4.0.4pl1-3
2. Install SquirrelMail 1.0 (see above if you need 1.0.1)
3. Use (unsure about which) a browser to try to send a message.
4. When you hit send, the data from the compose form is fed back into compose.php.
5. Compose.php sees the data all with a newline at the beginning. It might be \n, or \r\n (not sure about which -- might be platform
6. When Compose.php is done sending the message, it tries to redirect you automatically to the message list. At this time,
$mailbox is already corrupted.
Actual Results: Going into PHP:
<input type=text name="mailbox" value="INBOX">
Coming out of PHP and going into the script:
$mailbox == "
INBOX"; // note the newline
Expected Results: Uh, no newline at the beginning of form entries.
Allegedly some browsers work and some don't. That is the part that really gets me. Konqueror and Netscape (versions above)
seem to report the error.
My system doesn't show the error (not running RedHat), but this seems to be a pretty nasty bug if it is PHP's fault.
Created attachment 8641 [details]
SquirrelMail 1.0 (in case the web site doesn't have it)
We've seen some problems with 4.0.4pl1-3, and currently have another errata
candidate in http://people.redhat.com/nalin/test/ that will probably fix it.
Please try it out and let me know if it fixes this either in this bug ID or
under #24933, which is where I'm tracking this particular bug.
The new PHP 4.0.4pl1-5 candidate seems to work. Not positive, but will post to other bug report if more errors occur.
Thanks for the quick reply!