After a fresh, *new* re-install of Fisher, up2date reports no updates
I had registered anomymously during the first install, and updates were
installed. However, since this was a clean re-install, shouldn't the
database report that is not in sync with available fixes?
There are currently no updated packages available in the anonymous
up2date server that Fisher talks to by default. So detecting
that no new packages are available for a client fisher install is
the correct behaviour.
I'm more interested in why up2date would have detected there
were packages available for update in the first install. Was
this an upgrade from 7.0? Were any packages downgraded manually?
No, the initial install was a clean (freshly formatted system) installation of
the Fisher beta.
At that time, I installed almost everything, merely to be sure that I had all
After the RHN configuration, I ran RHN update, and sure enough, I got a long
available updates, of which I selected almost all.
I decided to do a fresh install, selecting only have the applications which I am
to use, or which (IMHO), I might be more capable of detecting any "buggy"
the first install, I also added some apps and libraries from the Power Tools CD.
Subsequently, when I run the RHN config. and update, it reports that my system
is fully updated.
If you wish, I could do *yet another* fresh install, and test if up2date reports
any available stuff. Now
that I've replaced my old 16x Toshiba with an Acer 12x DVD (40x CDR),
installation goes a bit faster on my AMD-k2/500. Though I don't have a backup
tape device, I can easily copy / save
my own data to the Windows98 partition or onto my LS-120 diskettes.
Assigned QA to jturner
the fact that packages were available the first time must have been a transient
server configuration issue -- no updates were made available for fisher via
RHN. This may change. However, the current behaviour (no updates available) is