Bug 287201 - Hide warnings/errors if module doesn't use intltool
Hide warnings/errors if module doesn't use intltool
Status: CLOSED NEXTRELEASE
Product: Fedora Localization
Classification: Fedora
Component: Website (Show other bugs)
unspecified
All Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Dimitris Glezos
Diego Búrigo Zacarão
http://translate.fedoraproject.org/re...
: Reopened
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-09-11 22:04 EDT by Xavier Alvarez
Modified: 2009-03-21 13:35 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-03-21 13:35:54 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Xavier Alvarez 2007-09-11 22:04:21 EDT
Description of problem:

Most (all?) of the PO files have warning or error icons by them denoting 
different kinds and levels of (apparently) mis-configurations, missing things or 
just errors.

A more bizarre situation can be found in:
http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/olpc-draw

Where both POTs have a 'Can't generate POT file, using old one.' error (one is 2 
months old) and the http://translate.fedoraproject.org/POT/olpc-draw.master/
olpc-draw.master.pot link gives a '404 not found' error. All the POs correspond 
to that 'missing file' and there are none for the 'present' POT.


Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
#NA

How reproducible:
always - as long as you browse the OLPC release pages

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Follow the above mentioned links
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
This is a new set up between Fedora and OLPC (using dev.laptop.org site) so 
there are probably many things that haven't been polished and/or configured.
Comment 1 Dimitris Glezos 2007-09-12 15:49:04 EDT
Xavier, thanks for reporting this.

The errors usually denote that the module's i18n support isn't based on
intltool, which is what Damned Lies (DL), our stats software, supports. This
makes our web stats interface to not know, for example, if the POT file reflects
the source code (intltool does this through po/POTFILES.in) or if the language
in question is actually shipped with the software (po/LINGUAS). This isn't much
of a problem usually, since DL does support using a ready-made POT file
(although not as good as supporting intltool on-the-fly POT creation).

olpc-draw has the problem that it doesn't follow the directory structure of
`po/<POT,PO>` files but has different subdirectories for each language. We've
had this with other OLPC modules in the past and Marco added proper support.

As far as the oldness of some statistics and PO/POT files, this was reported
(and fixed, I believe) on bug #248260.

Closing as INSUFFICIENT_DATA; once olpc-draw's i18n is changed we can re-enable
olpc-draw and close the bug.
Comment 2 Marco Pesenti Gritti 2007-09-13 04:09:25 EDT
> The errors usually denote that the module's i18n support isn't based on
> intltool, which is what Damned Lies (DL), our stats software, supports. This
> makes our web stats interface to not know, for example, if the POT file reflects
> the source code (intltool does this through po/POTFILES.in) or if the language
> in question is actually shipped with the software (po/LINGUAS). This isn't much
> of a problem usually, since DL does support using a ready-made POT file
> (although not as good as supporting intltool on-the-fly POT creation).

Since we support packages which doesn't use automake/intltool (and I think we
need to support them), I think it would be good to have a way to get rid of the
warnings, they are confusing for the translators.

> olpc-draw has the problem that it doesn't follow the directory structure of
> `po/<POT,PO>` files but has different subdirectories for each language. We've
> had this with other OLPC modules in the past and Marco added proper support.
> 

Yeah, Xavier can you please report this issue on dev.laptop.org?

> As far as the oldness of some statistics and PO/POT files, this was reported
> (and fixed, I believe) on bug #248260.

See:
http://translate.fedoraproject.org/POT/olpc-chat.master/Chat.master.es.po

That one has been out of sync with the repository for a while, do you know what
is going on?
Comment 3 Xavier Alvarez 2007-09-13 08:48:26 EDT
(In reply to comment #2)
> > The errors usually denote that the module's i18n support isn't based on
> > intltool, which is what Damned Lies (DL), our stats software, supports. This
> > makes our web stats interface to not know, for example, if the POT file 
reflects
> > the source code (intltool does this through po/POTFILES.in) or if the 
language
> > in question is actually shipped with the software (po/LINGUAS). This isn't 
much
> > of a problem usually, since DL does support using a ready-made POT file
> > (although not as good as supporting intltool on-the-fly POT creation).
> 
> Since we support packages which doesn't use automake/intltool (and I think we
> need to support them), I think it would be good to have a way to get rid of 
the
> warnings, they are confusing for the translators.

I think some warnings are needed (translators should be able to cope, or else 
they'll find themselves working on stale or unused things). I mentioned the 
warnings in the bug as more of a 'symptom' of an underlying issue.


> 
> > olpc-draw has the problem that it doesn't follow the directory structure of
> > `po/<POT,PO>` files but has different subdirectories for each language. 
We've
> > had this with other OLPC modules in the past and Marco added proper support.
> > 
> 
> Yeah, Xavier can you please report this issue on dev.laptop.org?

I'll probably forward or post a mail to some of the list, but would like/need to 
have something of a solution to give, ie: necessary directory structure and 
files to which developers can tune into... Can anybody point to some pages?

The current or recommended page I found in the wiki (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/
Python_i18n) would seem not to adhere to what fedora needs... I would like to 
update it with a 'translate-fedoraproject' section noting the needed steps and 
structure to make things in dev.laptop.org work with fedora (hopefuly saving 
some time for the developers)

So, any links would come in handy.


> 
> > As far as the oldness of some statistics and PO/POT files, this was reported
> > (and fixed, I believe) on bug #248260.
> 
> See:
> http://translate.fedoraproject.org/POT/olpc-chat.master/Chat.master.es.po
> 
> That one has been out of sync with the repository for a while, do you know 
what
> is going on?

Not really (I'm not a developer ;)
Comment 4 Marco Pesenti Gritti 2007-09-13 09:36:22 EDT
> I think some warnings are needed (translators should be able to cope, or else 
> they'll find themselves working on stale or unused things). I mentioned the 
> warnings in the bug as more of a 'symptom' of an underlying issue.

I'm just arguing the intltool related warnings are unnecessary and confusing
because they are about a case that the system should be (and is) able to
support. Translations will be updated just fine even with these warnings.

> I'll probably forward or post a mail to some of the list, but would like/need to 
> have something of a solution to give, ie: necessary directory structure and 
> files to which developers can tune into... Can anybody point to some pages?

The only requirement is that both .pot and .pos are inside the po/ directory in
the git module toplevel. You can look to web-activity or chat-activity for an
example. I would write docs, but I just don't have time for it at the moment, if
you guys can help out document this it would be useful (feel free to bug me
anytime in irc if you need explanations).

> 
> > 
> > > As far as the oldness of some statistics and PO/POT files, this was reported
> > > (and fixed, I believe) on bug #248260.
> > 
> > See:
> > http://translate.fedoraproject.org/POT/olpc-chat.master/Chat.master.es.po
> > 
> > That one has been out of sync with the repository for a while, do you know 
> what
> > is going on?
> 
> Not really (I'm not a developer ;)

That was a question for Dimitris :)
Comment 5 Dimitris Glezos 2007-09-17 14:07:27 EDT
(In reply to comment #2)
> See:
> http://translate.fedoraproject.org/POT/olpc-chat.master/Chat.master.es.po
> 
> That one has been out of sync with the repository for a while, do you know what
> is going on?

The statistics interface first does an msgmerge of each PO with the POT file and
then calculate the stats and gives a link to the msgmerged file on the green
"download" icon next to the language name.

Chat.pot on git
(http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=chat-activity;a=blob_plain;f=po/Chat.pot;hb=HEAD)
seems to have only 6 messages and if one msgmerge's it with es.po, then the
statistics produced at http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/olpc-chat seem
correct.
--

Marco, about the warnings, I agree that they probably cause more confusion than
understanding. The "problem" is that upstream supports only intltool and would
like those warnings to appear there. I'd prefer if the errors explained better
who are they trying to reach (eg. some of them talk to the developer and not the
translator) and that they could be less scary.

How about adding a flag <pot-method> in fedora-modules.xml.in with choices
between "intltool" (default) and "pot". The second will give preference to POT
files generated by the developers, hiding the warnings about LINGUAS etc. The
best place to discuss this is http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=476337
though.
Comment 6 Dimitris Glezos 2007-09-17 14:08:49 EDT
Oh, an addon-note about the last idea: If we just make changes to the XML files
and the templates, then we could keep them downstream more easily than making
changes to python files. And I believe the tag/hide-details idea can be
implemented without meddling with python files.
Comment 7 Dimitris Glezos 2007-09-26 12:44:04 EDT
As a first step, I linked all warnings to the following FAQ entry:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/Tools/Website#stats-warnings

Patches that add support for <pot-method> in XML welcome. :)
Comment 8 Dimitris Glezos 2008-02-04 07:16:01 EST
An update on this bug: OLPC decided to use Pootle for translations, so this is
no longer of high priority.

Updated bug summary to better reflect what we need to do.
Comment 9 Piotr Drąg 2009-03-21 13:35:54 EDT
In new Transifex non-intltool modules are correctly treated.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.