Bug 289941 - Support livecd-tools running on a livecd
Support livecd-tools running on a livecd
Status: CLOSED RAWHIDE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: livecd-tools (Show other bugs)
7
All Linux
medium Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: David Zeuthen
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-09-13 16:13 EDT by Chris Hubick
Modified: 2013-03-05 22:51 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-09-13 16:25:05 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Chris Hubick 2007-09-13 16:13:23 EDT
I want to boot my computer using a stock fedora livecd, and then use
livecd-creator to roll a new custom livecd.  I want to do this while never
having modified that computers internal hard drive, though I have an external
usb drive I can temporarily plug in for scratch space.

Doing this today may be possible, but is difficult.  I created my kickstart file
with system-config-kickstart using the livecd, I didn't see options for
temp/cache directories with livecd-creator, so I tried with Revisor which had
those options in it's interface/config - but it wrote the rpm's out to my
scratch space as I asked, but then didn't install where I asked it to and
instead filled up my /var and crashed the system (OOM).

(In reality, I have a computer with no internal hard drive, which I want to run
entirely from an SD card made from a custom livecd, optionally attaching my usb
drive if I need persistent storage.  I can easily transport all my software from
work to home or anywhere else on a tiny SD card, and don't have to worry about
an HD dying).  This feature would be good for Windows or other users who would
like a customized livecd without having to alter their OS though, or in places
like work where they might not be able/allowed to.

I don't mind if my scratch space needs to be formatted ext3 or whatever, but it
might also be nice to support all scratch space needs using a temp file on a
local or external fat or ntfs file.
Comment 1 Jeremy Katz 2007-09-13 16:25:05 EDT
livecd-creator now has a tmpdir option (--tmpdir=/path/to/tmpdir) which gets you
98% of the way there.  The other 2% is that the output goes into the current
working directory, so you have to be in a directory that has the space.
Comment 2 Chris Hubick 2007-09-13 16:38:08 EDT
Excellent, I will give that a try! Thanks!

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.