Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 335621
lost+found directories mislabeled
Last modified: 2014-01-18 15:30:57 EST
Description of problem:
I did a clean install (empty harddrive) using the F8t3 DVD (x86-64, but this
shouldn't matter). I ran a full yum update afterwards but this shouldn't matter
The state after the install was that none of the lost+found directories had the
appropriate SELinux label (system_u:object_r:lost_found_t). They usually were
labeled with system_u:object_r:file_t.
This causes all kinds of problems (including tmpwatch to fail).
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
whatever is in F8t3
I only installed once
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Install from F8t3 DVD
2.run yum update
incorrectly labeled lost+found
correctly labeled lost+found
I doubt this is an SELinux issue. The policy contains the information since a
follow restorecon corrects the problem.
hmm somewhat related: bug #157833
Ok, what *used* to do this labeling? It wasn't e2fsprogs... What changed?
I just did a fresh F8T4 install, and:
[root@localhost ~]# ls -Zd /lost+found/
drwx------ root root system_u:object_r:file_t:s0 /lost+found/
[root@localhost ~]# ls -Zd /boot/lost+found/
drwx------ root root system_u:object_r:file_t:s0 /boot/lost+found/
so, I guess it persists in test4
Why shouldn't anaconda add each fileystem's lost+found/ dir to the list of files
that it must run restorecon on? I don't think mkfs is the place to do this; for
one thing, mkfs has no idea where this filesystem will be mounted, and that may
well affect the labels it receives.
I'm going to punt this back to anaconda; there are bigger issues around all this
I think, but today, if a system administrator creates & mounts a new filesystem,
they need to run restorecon on the new fs to get the labels set properly.
IMHO anaconda is acting in this administrator role during install, and therefore
should run restorecon on fresh filesystems as it mounts them (or something like
that... it probably gets more complex if anaconda is using filesystems that it
At any rate I don't see how this is an e2fsprogs bug; no mkfs has any idea where
the new filesystem will be mounted, and therefore has no way to apply the proper
labels at creation time, in general.
Should be fixed in anaconda-220.127.116.11-1 .
*** Bug 337581 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 157833 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Based on the date this bug was created, it appears to have been reported
during the development of Fedora 8. In order to refocus our efforts as
a project we are changing the version of this bug to '8'.
If this bug still exists in rawhide, please change the version back to
(If you're unable to change the bug's version, add a comment to the bug
and someone will change it for you.)
Thanks for your help and we apologize for the interruption.
The process we're following is outlined here:
We will be following the process here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping to ensure this
doesn't happen again.
A quick check of my F9 box shows /boot/lost+found with the correct label.