Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 337061
tunepimp: Cannot decode file. (Decoder crashed)
Last modified: 2008-03-02 08:45:29 EST
Description of problem:
Amarok is failing to tag files via libmusicbrainz. More specifically it is
reporting a crash of the musicbrainz backend.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
[sean@home-desk ~]$ rpm -q -a|grep musicbrainz
[sean@home-desk ~]$ rpm -q -a|grep amarok
Seems to happen every time.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Attempt to tag a file with libmusicbrainz
Tunepimp (MusicBrainz tagging library) returned the following
error: "Cannot decode file. (Decoder crashed)".
Once it crashes, you cannot tag that file with libmusicbrainz again until you
restart Amarok. You can however, tag other files.
It tags the file if the data is found at musicbrainz.org
Created attachment 230651 [details]
This is an MP3 file that crashes libmusicbrainz on my machine
$ rpm -q amarok libtunepimp libtunepimp-extras-nonfree
Fwiw, I just tried importing the provided, mp3, and I can edit tags as well as
"Fill in tags using MusicBrainz".
The same issue affects my F8 installations:
[sean@home-desk ~]$ rpm -q amarok libtunepimp libtunepimp-extras-nonfree
Tagging will fail after some amount of editing. This amount is not fixed and
changes. I can't seem to edit more than 20 files before I run into this issue.
Can you try updating this:
That didn't help with the crash.
I selected 8 untagged MP3's. I then selected the Fill-in tags using Musicbrainz
button. After a few moments, the crash dialog appears.
OK, I can confirm now (appears to be x86_64 specific?).
Would appear that libtunepimp/libmusicbrainz support is just (a bit, at least)
taglib-1.5-1.fc8 has been pushed to the Fedora 8 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update taglib'. You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-1960
I installed the update referenced in comment #8 when it was suggested in Comment
#5. No change to behavior noted and the same error persists.
Sean, looks like we've tried most everything we can do here packaging-wise, it
would be a good idea at this point to escalate the issue to amarok's developers
by reporting this upstream to bugs.kde.org.
As per request, I have filed this upstream with the kde folks:
Just for the record, a libtunepimp update appeared
today(libtunepimp-0.5.3-11.fc8). This had no effect on behavior after I
We'll continue to track this upstream, thanks for the report.