I thought that sndconfig was the best thing to happent
to Red Hat linux ever. And of course, I still do.
However, there are some problems. My modem is IRQ 4
and my sound card (an ESS1868) is IRQ 5. This never
causes problems, and not when I did the whole module
thing by hand in Slackware (3.6, 4.0). What happened
here was that there was an error in the detection of
the card and I was to set it up manually. I did and
I rebooted and it worked. However, during system init,
there was an IO conflict with sound stuff. I wasn't
really sure what effect it had or would have because
sound was working just fine. Well when I tried to
use my modem at all, from anywhere (pppd, kppp, or
even minicom) it showed up as being "in use". I was
like, great. Not thinking this might be something
in /etc/isapnp.conf, I reinstalled Red Hat. I did the
same thing AGAIN! Agh! This time I figured maybe
it was something in isapnp.conf so I deleted the
file and rebooted. Now sound and modem work just
Maybe isapnp.conf isn't needed at all?
Glad to have reported this. Again, it might be
a sysvinit or isapnptools package thing... so you
all over at RedHat Labs figure it out! :-)
------- Additional Comments From 06/11/99 10:11 -------
sorry about the problems here but i just noticed
my inconsistency in file naming! holy krud!
the file name is /etc/isapnp.conf y'all
the problem with the modem could have been a lock file from
something else. As for the IO conflict, there have been reports
of problems with the original isapnptools-1.18; in Raw Hide
(our rolling development tree) there is an isapnptools-1.18-3
that hopefully fixes this.
You noted that rebooting without the isapnp.conf could help solve
the problem; if nothing resets the cards to a different configuration
(such as Windows98 might do), they should maintain the same
configuration across reboots.