Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 3405
mkbootdisk fails with Mylex DAC960
Last modified: 2008-05-01 11:37:50 EDT
mkbootdisk does not know how to handle Mylex DAC960 devices.
It creates /dev/c0d0p1 device file to emergency booti disk,
while the correct location of that device file would be
It does put the right location (/dev/rd/c0d0p1) to
Because of this bug lilo does not install itself to bootdisk
and that bootdisk does not work.
Broken bootdisks can be repaired by mounting them to a linux
machine and moving the device file to right location and
reinstlling lilo to the floppy.
We are aware of this problem and are in the process of putting
together a fix.
I believe this is fixed in the latest mkbootdisk (1.2.1-1).
When I run mkbootdisk the following error pops up saying that it cannot find
the mkinitrd file
I installed mkbootdisk 1.2.5-3 and mkinitrd 2.4.1-2 off a 6.2 disk and still
brings up the
Clarification to above posting:
I am running RedHat 6.0 and took the mkinitrd file form a 6.2 disk
when I enter:
mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.2.5-15
it starts to make the disk
while it is making the disk it throws out:
usage: mkinitrd ......as above
and makes the rest of the disk.
when trying to boot the disk it reads it and starts to boot it but will not
find the SCSI drives on the computer.
I did not type initrd anywhere in the mkbootdisk command to throw a usage error
Everything from what I posted above has stayed the same.