Bug 34759 - Odd things happening on the site
Odd things happening on the site
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Red Hat Web Site
Classification: Red Hat
Component: Global Header (Show other bugs)
current
i386 Linux
medium Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Evalynna Ho
Tom Lancaster
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2001-04-04 16:26 EDT by Jay Turner
Modified: 2015-01-07 18:44 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2001-04-10 20:17:54 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Jay Turner 2001-04-04 16:26:27 EDT
Go to
http://www.webqa.redhat.com/products/software/linux/rhl7_standard.html,
then click on 'Go' to take you to the "Enhancements & New Features"
section.  This will cause you to get redirected to
http://app.webqa.redhat.com/products/software/linux/rhl7_new_features.html

On the live site, clicking on the link causes you to get an error about
passing a request that the server did not know how to deal with.  Again,
this is keeping me from being able to test the global header change, so we
need to get it fixed up.
Comment 1 Lisa Palma 2001-04-05 13:14:18 EDT
I can't seem to duplicate this error message... both webqa and the live site are
taking me to the correct page (/products/software/linux/rhl7_new_features.html).

Perhaps this was already taken care of by someone else?

~L
Comment 2 Jay Turner 2001-04-06 08:54:52 EDT
No, still getting this.  It is not that I am getting taken to the wrong page, it
is that I get redirected to "app.webqa.redhat.com"  This is bad.  Users should
never get access to app.webqa (or app[1-4].rwc) directly.  The page which comes
up is indeed correct, just being served from the wrong machine.
Comment 3 Lisa Palma 2001-04-06 14:07:35 EDT
but.. but... the links are relative, not absolute, so once the page is actually in the live environment, it should take the users to the proper page on 
www.redhat.com. Or am I not understanding this correctly?

We're not changing the way we do these form actions <form action="/apps/redirect.apm" method=get> with the new server configuration, are we?
Comment 4 Jay Turner 2001-04-06 16:56:06 EDT
I don't know what is happening with the code, but currently on the live site I
get the problem that I detail above.  This page is indeed trying to do something
odd that it should not be trying to do.  If the user attempts to go through this
link while connected to a SSL session, then they are going to get this error. 
We cannot have that.
Comment 5 Evalynna Ho 2001-04-06 17:05:05 EDT
On the live site, I cannot duplicate this error. In the QA environment I see the redirect happening but I do not get and error off the live site that anything 
unusual is happening.
Comment 6 Jay Turner 2001-04-09 08:07:58 EDT
To see this error on the live site, make sure that you are surfing with SSL
enabled.  So, connect to
https://www.redhat.com/products/software/linux/rhl7_standard.html, then click on
the 'Go' button to link to the Enhancements and New Features section.  Will get
an error telling you that "Your browser sent a request that the server could not
understand"
Comment 7 Tom Lancaster 2001-04-09 18:11:11 EDT
our redirector was using hostname to determine fully qualified name for
redirects. I've put in an re to trap app. and app[1-3].rwc ( also
app[1-3].rwc-colo ) . The fix is on webqa.


Comment 8 Jay Turner 2001-04-10 09:11:45 EDT
Now I get the same error on webqa that I am getting on the live site.  This
needs to be fixed for the case where the user is surfing a secure link and
clicks on this button.  So, connect to
https://www.webqa.redhat.com/products/software/linux/rhl7_standard.html (very
important that you establish a SSL connection)  Then click on the button to go
to the 'Enhancements and Features' section.  Will get an error screen talking
about a bad request, stating that the browser passed a request that the server
did not know how to handle.  This needs to be fixed ASAP.
Comment 9 Tom Lancaster 2001-04-10 20:17:49 EDT
OK, I think I got the https part now. I've tested http and https, and also
non-form-based usage of the redirector.
Comment 10 Jay Turner 2001-04-11 10:14:39 EDT
This is indeed fixed on webqa.  Closing out this issue.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.