Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 355611
Can't get past firstboot screen in Xen paravirt guest - failed to synchronize hardware clock
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:20 EST
Description of problem:
Installing F8T3 as a Xen paravirt guest, and installation won't proceed past
Date and Time page of First Boot, failing to set the clock. Rebooting the VM
just triggers firstboot again. See "Additional Info" below for a workaround.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Fedora 8 Test 3 as up updates to 28-Oct-2007, including:
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install F8T3 as paravirt guest (eg: virt-install -n f8t3 -r 384 -f
/dev/vg7101/VMf8t3 -b xenbr0 --vnc -p -l
2. Default install options (different volgrp name, to avoid clashes)
3. Reboot guest VM at end of install
4. Reconnect to guest VM using virt-viewer
5. At First Boot screen, proceed through pages of settings etc
6. At the Date and Time page, click Forward
An error dialog with the message "Failed to synchronize hardware clock". Click
on "OK" and you are returned to the Date and Time page.
Proceed to Hardware Profile page
Checking Enable Network Time Protocol on the Network Time Protocol allows you to
progress to the Hardware Profile page, but this may not work on setups that have
inadequate or poorly-configured networking.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 357311 ***