Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 358061
Yum install i386 when it should not do so
Last modified: 2014-01-21 17:59:58 EST
Description of problem:
I've tried to minimize the amount of i386 packages on my x86_64
system - however yum during 'yum update/upgrade' tries to put
.i386 libs back - I assume there is something wrong with
I'm appending the log of my installation - where you can see
that kdemultimedia-lib.386 comes from non-identifiable package.
When I run yum update with exclude kdelibs.i386 - it went everything
just fine - and the following updated showed no needed update
even for kdelibs.i386
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
I'm running fedora-devel - daily updated
Unsure - probably install the same set of packages ??
Steps to Reproduce:
To not see .i386 packages installed back over and over again ;)
Attached - yum install log - yum.conf
Created attachment 243241 [details]
Log from yum upgrade
This problem is caused by kdemultimedia-libs obsoleting kdemultimedia < own
version. Yum doesn't handle this case correctly but assumes that both 32bit and
64bit packages qualify as obsoletes for the installed 64bit kdemultimedia
package. This needs to be fixed in yum.
Created attachment 251431 [details]
Log of yum update for 2007-11-08 Fedore Devel machine
I've attached new log of today's update - as can be see inside the log (!!!!
marks my hand-written comment inside the log - to explain few details)
I had some problems with updating my x8_64 system that still contains couple of
i386 libs and I'm using exclude line in yum.conf to avoid poisoning of my
machine with unneeded libs & tools for i386.
I'm not sure what is the biggest problem here - I just name few:
- I couldn't easily update glib2 - unsure whether this is rpm/yum/glib2 fault
- even from command line I cannot override exclude of i386 package
- yum inserts i386 when it should not
- sometime strange dependency conflict requires --skip-broken
(I'd like to not - the after this update next yum update did not want
to update gecko-libs - and library has not been updated)
If you still have a test case and are brave enough you can try yum HEAD ("git
clone http://linux.duke.edu/yum/git/yum.git"). It should behave better in such
situations. If it breaks you keep the pieces...
It turns out that this problem is not yet fixed upstream. There are two
different patches that fix that problem that are already sent upstream. See
I've tested the improved version of the patch
and it's working properly with today's updates for Fedora 8. With
yum-3.2.7-1.fc8, both kdepim-libs.i386 and kdepim-libs.x86_64 are trying to
replace kdepim.x86_64. Thanks!