Bug 358781 - After updating wpa_supplicant my wireless network is really unstable
After updating wpa_supplicant my wireless network is really unstable
Status: CLOSED UPSTREAM
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: NetworkManager (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
low Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Dan Williams
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-10-30 14:31 EDT by Espen Stefansen
Modified: 2007-11-30 17:12 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2007-11-28 07:21:12 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:


Attachments (Terms of Use)
A crash-report from bug-buddy (369.67 KB, text/plain)
2007-10-30 14:31 EDT, Espen Stefansen
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Espen Stefansen 2007-10-30 14:31:27 EDT
Description of problem:
After i updated to the latest wpa_supplicant, my wireless is really unstable. 
And sometimes NM doesn't find any networks. If it does find it and i connect, 
the speed is really poor. It should be 54Mb/s, but when i checked in NM it says 
1Mb/s or 9Mb/s. It seems like the connection hangs and the suddenly the speed 
increases and then it "stops" again. And this happened when the wireless AP was 
2 meters away. NM-applet also crashes more often.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
kernel-2.6.23.1-41.fc8
wpa_supplicant-0.5.7-15.fc8 (unstable)
wpa_supplicant-0.5.7-13.fc8 (everything works ok)


How reproducible:
Every time

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start up with wireless
2.
3.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
lspci -vv
0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN 
Network Connection (rev 61)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 1121
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- 
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- 
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 219
        Region 0: Memory at fe8fe000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
        Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 3
                Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot
+,D3cold+)
                Status: D0 PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
        Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 
Enable+
                Address: 00000000fee0300c  Data: 413a
        Capabilities: [e0] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
                Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
                Device: Latency L0s <512ns, L1 unlimited
                Device: AtnBtn- AtnInd- PwrInd-
                Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                Device: RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
                Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
                Link: Supported Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Port 0
                Link: Latency L0s <128ns, L1 <64us
                Link: ASPM L0s Enabled RCB 64 bytes CommClk+ ExtSynch-
                Link: Speed 2.5Gb/s, Width x1
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 1b-9c-47-ff-ff-e8-13-00
Comment 1 Espen Stefansen 2007-10-30 14:31:28 EDT
Created attachment 243751 [details]
A crash-report from bug-buddy
Comment 2 Dan Williams 2007-10-30 15:36:41 EDT
The wpa_supplicant patches should only affect WPA-EAP and Dynamic WEP code
paths.  What encryption and authentication are you using?
Comment 3 Espen Stefansen 2007-10-30 16:27:29 EDT
I use wpa2-psk.
Comment 4 Espen Stefansen 2007-10-30 17:51:22 EDT
I updated wpa_supplicant (and other packages from koji) and did several 
reboots. And now it works as it should. So there might have been something 
weird going on when i tested it earlier. So this is not an issue anymore.

But nm-applet still crashes often when i click "connection information". Mine 
is translated into norwegian bokmål. This error keeps popping up in every 
bugbuddy-report:
(nm-applet:3944): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to 
pango_layout_set_text()
Comment 5 Espen Stefansen 2007-11-28 07:21:12 EST
I've been trying the latest NM-snapshots in koji, and all the problems i 
reported earlier have gone away. :)

So i'm closing this one.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.