Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 376651
http upgrade fails - unable to fetch Fedora-8-comps.xml
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:22 EST
Description of problem:
I am upgrading from f7 to f8 via ftp or http (I tried both) from a local Win2000
box. I have the isolinux directory on a local drive, and am booting from there.
I get as far as telling anaconda to update my boot loader, click next, and it
pops up a window that says, "Unable to read group information from repositories.
This is a problem with the generation of your install tree."
When I switch to the console window, I see "WARNING: Try 1/10 for
http://192.168.0.3/./repodata/Fedora-8-comps.xml". The above is repeated 9 more
times. Then it says "Failed to get
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Whatever ships with Fedora 8.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Boot from the isolinux directory off a local HD.
2. Tell anaconda to upgrade a previous linux install, on /dev/vg0/root.
3. Follow instructions for a ftp or http install. (host=192.168.0.3, directory=/)
Above pop-up comes up.
Install Fedora 8.
Or, give me a more useful error message, perhaps one that explains why it can
fetch /images/stage2.img, but it can't fetch /./repodata/Fedora-8-comps.xml.
Anaconda retrieves the stage2 data just fine, so I don't think I entered the ip
address wrong. I wonder if perhaps the extra "./" in the url is confusing
something somewhere. I did not put that "./" in the directory name.
I tried fetching http://192.168.0.3/repodata/Fedora-8-comps.xml using wget, and
that worked just fine. I also tried fetching
192.168.0.3/./repodata/Feroda-8-comps.xml with wget, and that worked just fine too.
Does the sha1sum of the comps file in the repodata dir match the sha1sum in the
Erm. No, it doesn't. Thanks.
I blame the Windows machine. (Always a safe bet.) The copy I initially
downloaded is fine.
I suggest that the error message be changed from, "Failed to get
http://192.168.0.3/./repodata/Fedora-8-comps.xml" to "Fedora-8-comps.xml does
not match expected sha1sum" or "repodata/Fedora-8-comps.xml appears to be
corrupt" or something like that. The former implies that there is a problem with
the data transfer, which there is not.
I don't believe we have the information to make a distinction between failure to
get the file and getting a corrupt file. I've added to the error message
indicating that the file may also be corrupt.
Thanks for doing that. The misleading error message cost me several hours' work;
I'd hate to see it go unfixed.