Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 381431
Gnome Settings broken by latest fedora 8 updates
Last modified: 2007-11-30 17:12:22 EST
Description of problem:
gnome-settings daemon won't start. Broken by latest fedora 8 updates.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Fedora 8, gnome2
Everytime. After logging in, gnome-settings daemon does not start. Hence cannot
launch any application from the menu. Also, icons are missing from the
desktop.Launching any application from menu (say Application->System
Tools->Terminal), results in the following message:
Could not start menu item
Error reading file
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Login with latest updates from Fedora
After rebooting several times and deleting all GNOME configuration files, I get
two error pop up messages (alas, can't take screenshots since everything is
broken and can't be started from menu)
Contents of first pop up message:
"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.
The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in."
Contents of second popup message:
If you reload a panel object, it will automatically be added back to the panel.
F8 system is not usuable in X mode
If you log in as your normal user from a text console, does
What's the output of
rpm -q gnome-vfs2 && rpm -V gnome-vfs2
can you attach /var/log/messages ?
Did this work before and break after getting updates?
Created attachment 258201 [details]
rpm output for gnome_vfs2
Created attachment 258211 [details]
rpm verbose output for gnome_vfs2
Created attachment 258241 [details]
"If you log in as your normal user from a text console, does
Yes, it does work. I can cat all other application files too.
Yes, everything worked before updates. Now, gnome-desktop doesn't.
The md5sum of some of files in the gnome-vfs2 package doesn't match what rpm is
can you force reinstall the x86-64 gnome-vfs2 package and see if that addresses
I tried removing the package and ended up with a whole bunch of ext3 errors due
I just went ahead and did a fresh re-install and took the aforementioned
updates. Everything in Gnome works now.
Looks like the initial install didn't go well WRT to GNOME, even though it was a
Thanks for all your help. I am marking this as resolved.