Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 389301
Cannot launch installer on a PlayStation 3
Last modified: 2008-01-03 19:32:21 EST
I have just tried to install the final version of Fedora 8 ppc on a PlayStation
3 and the installer does not work at all. The specific machine I have is the
European version of the PS3, with a 60GB hard disk and with WiFi support.
I boot the installer by using the command 'linux64 text' from the kboot's prompt
and get the PAL 576i video mode because the machine is connected with the
default cable shipped with it to a flat screen (this cable is the one with one
component for video and two for audio outputs). I do not want to use the
graphical installer for performance reasons, but I also tried booting it with
'linux64'. Same results, unfortunately.
The thing is I get to the installer screen where I'm offered the possibility of
sanity-checking the DVD (and I did and it is OK). After that step, the
installer tries to run anaconda at which point fails with the following message:
---- cut here ----
Running anaconda 126.96.36.199, the Fedora system installer - please wait...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 779, in <module>
floppyDevice = probeHW(opts, x_already_set, xserver)
File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 421, in probeHW
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rhpxl/xserver.py", line 87, in probeHW
self.videohw = videocard.VideoCardInfo(forceDriver=forceDriver)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rhpxl/videocard.py", line 149, in __init__
elif os.uname().count("ppc") > 0 and card.pcidom > 0:
AttributeError: device instance has no attribute 'pcidom'
install exited abnormally [1/1]
sending termination signals...done
sending kill signals...done
[list of file systems omitted]
you may safely reboot your system
---- cut here ----
For what is worth, the Fedora 8 RC3 ppc installation image worked fine. (It had
its own problems after installation, but anaconda ran flawlessly.)
As a workaround, I tried booting with 'linux64 xdriver=fbdev text' as some
reader in my blog suggested, and I got the installer to work. Pity it doesn't
work by default, though... Given that there is a workaround, I'm filling this
as medium severity only.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 374201 ***