Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 39603
rp3 applet connects but doesn't think it has
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:33:07 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.2-2smp i686)
Description of problem:
The rp3 applet successfully makes a connection (ifup/wvdial), but remains
in 'disconnected' mode (i.e., still says "Click to connect to ...").
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Click 'Connect' button on rp3 applet.
Actual Results: Dialup succeeds, 'Waiting' dialogue is closed, but rp3
stays in 'disconnected' mode.
Expected Results: Button changes to 'disconnect from ...', red/green xfer
monitor data are displayed in applet.
I've tried wading through the code, but keep getting lost, I'm afraid.
- this worked painlessly under 6.2 (recently upped to 7.1),
- when run standalone as usernet, the display works fine (!)
- more oddly, if I change the applet prefs. to 'use' another ISP, then
change it back again (all while logged in), it picks up the fact that that
ISP's connected, and sets itself right, displaying comms. data & allowing
Further information: I was wrong about usernet working OK; it's not usernet,
it's running/not running as root.
I run rp3 as a normal user. I tested usernet while I was root and it worked.
I've just run usernet as 'me' and it /didn't/ work in the same was as the
applet. Resetting the prefs. in the applet. got it going as before.
Verification - it only notices it's changed mode (either way, rp3 or usernet)
when run as root; I can't make it 'just' work as any normal user, with or
without any user config.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 37716 ***
Note that the script fix as listed on 37716's solution doesn't fix the problem
of rp3 only working correctly as root. - but it does appear to be initscripts
related as opposed to rp3.