Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 39648
ntp clients cannot get time from RH71 ntp server
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:33:08 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux 2.4.2-2 i686; en-US; 0.8.1)
Description of problem:
xntp3/ntp4 clients are not able to query the time from a RH71 system
Steps to Reproduce:
On the server:
1. 'rpm -Uvh ntp-4.0.99k-15.i386.rpm'
2. Add appropriate 'server' lines in '/etc/ntp.conf', dependant on local
3. '/etc/rc.d/init.d/ntp start'
4. Wait for ntpd to synchronize time from its' servers
From another client (tested: RH6.2 xntpd3, RH7.1 ntp4):
5. 'ntpdate <server></server>' (with <server></server> the IP address of
on which steps 1-4 were performed)
Actual Results: ntpdate responds with: 'no server suitable for
Expected Results: Normally, the correct time should appear.
I tried this on 4 different machines, on my office network and my home
network, all with the same result. If I download, compile and install
ntp-4.0.99k23.tar.gz on the server, it works OK (using identical config files).
Even though 'ntpdate <server></server>' fails, 'ntpq <server></server>' and
'ntpcd <server></server>' from the same client do work.
try the server with multicastclient disabled ... took me hours to find out :((
OK, that works for me too. I can live without multicastclient.