Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 397111
Keyboard and mouse hang on 2.6.24-0.41.rc3.git1 with orinoco PCMCIA
Last modified: 2008-01-09 17:44:36 EST
Description of problem:
After plugging in and orinoco PCMCIA wireless adapter, the keyboard and mouse
freeze after about 4 minutes. The HID can be unfrozen by ejecting the orinoco
card. This does not happen on the 188.8.131.52-42 kernel or previous kernels.
The system being used for test is an HP Compaq nc6000 notebook
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: 100%
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install Fedora 7 with latest updates.
2. Install 2.6.24-0.41.rc3.git1 kernel from development yum repo
3. Insert orinico PCMCIA card (my card is Linksys)
4. Configure card with iwconfig
5. Transfer data for about 4 minutes
Keyboard and mouse eventually freeze.
Can you switch to a virtual terminal (Control-Alt-F1) after starting the data
transfer, to see if there is a kernel panic or other system message? If so,
please capture the data somehow (photo) and attach it to this bug report.
Not really possible...
1. The kernel does not panic. Once I eject the card, the system unfreezes.
2. Because the keyboard is frozen and I cannot switch VTs while it is frozen.
I'm pretty sure I checked dmesg after the hang, but didn't see anything. I will
try again and post an update.
I spent a day running the offending kernel again, and never saw the problem. I
suggest closing for now and I will keep watching for the problem in the future.
So we don't know where it was spinning, that's too bad. I hoped the NMI
oopser would catch it. I'm closing this for now.