Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 40351
installer crashed halfway thru install
Last modified: 2007-04-18 12:33:12 EDT
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.7 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.2.14-5.0 i586)
Description of problem:
Following prob logged by anaconda for rh7.1 5/9/01
Traceback (innermost last)
File /var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py line 19 in
rc = self.todo.doinstall()
File /var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/todo.py line 1852 in
doinstall(P, self.intf.messageWindow, pkgTimer))
File /var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/to.py line 1564 in
instCallback fn = self.method.getFilename(h, pkgTimer)
File /var/tmp/anaconda-7.1//usr/lib/anaconda/image.py line 82 in
getFilename f = open("/mnt/source/" + key)
IOError [Errno 2] no such file or directory:
this occured not quite half way thru a new install
did not see the exact package being installed
motherboard Gigabyte GA-5AA
micropolis 4gb ide drive
Looks like the cd could be bad. Do you see any error messages on VC3 or VC4?
tried again last night to install and it worked with no problems. I have been
doing a custom install and picked the same packages and the same partition setup
as last time. The only difference between the two installs is: during the first
install, when anaconda asked for the second cd, I put it in the tray and closed
the drawer but clicked the ok button too soon. I got an error box saying the cd
was not mounted. It gave me back the box to check when I was ready and I clicked
on it, and it seemed to mount it ok. It installed some packages after that
before it stopped. This time I waited for several seconds before I clicked the
ok button. The cd mounted right away this time. Could there be a problem with
anaconda recovering from an unmounted 2nd cdrom? BTW these cdroms I am using are
ones I got from you guys at Redhat, they are not ones I burned from downloaded
images. I am now going to try upgrading a 7.0 install with these cd's since a
friend at work tried that and it failed for him. Maybe my cd's will work.
That's strange. From the initial debug message, it seems clear that the
installer is having trouble reading the cd. That can mean a couple of different
things...one is that the cd itself is damaged (corrupt, scratched, dirty, etc).
It can also mean that there is something wrong with the cdrom drive itself.
I'm not sure if clicking the OK button too quickly causes problems or not. I'll
have to check that out.
Workaround: do minimal installation with only packages found on 1st disk. Then
install packages by hand. A real pain, but....
Since the install worked with the same disks on the second attempt, I'm going to
resolve this bug. However, if you see the behavior reappear, please reopen it.