Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 425771
Possibly-broken AP causes wireless adapter errors
Last modified: 2008-01-16 12:06:02 EST
Description of problem:
If i switch on my laptop in the area covered by an (probably somewhat faulty)
SMC AP, it detects that AP, and the network card freezes. I have attached a log
of dmesg output after network card activates and tries to connect.
When this has happened, the card no longer responds to commands, and everything
that tries to interact with it times out. This makes NetworkManager ask for
password again and again, and no further networks will be found by a scan.
After this has happened, only way to use card is to remove power from the AP,
and unload/load iwl3945.
Note that this happened with the ipw driver as well.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Every time lately
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Switch on laptop/bring it out of suspend when in range of the AP
2. NetworkManager tries to connect (im not shure even this is neccessary)
Card function well
The AP in question:
I have been able to connect when more or less sitting on top of the AP, so this
may have something to do with what happens when the signal strength is poor.
Also, my father (using an IBM thinkpad with WinXP, unknown card) are able to
connect, but it is "very slow".
Created attachment 289683 [details]
Snippet from dmesg
Reassigning to kernel, since this isn't firmware dependent.
Please detail which kernel version you're using. You could also try with Fedora
8 to see if things are any better.
Please try a recent F7 kernel e.g.:
Does this work any better for your iwl3945?
One certain bug in that kernel: During boot (quite early, before the "Welcome to
Fedora Core" (or something like that) message) i get 7 messages that states
"pnpacpi: exeeded the max number of mem resources: 12"...
However, this now seems more and more unrelated to the AP - the error messages
occured when the AP wasn't even powered. However, i was this time able to
connect to an unencrypted AP (neighbours -- blame NetworkManager if it was
techically illegal). And the "stuttering" of the mouse that has previously
occured together with this, did not happen. However, after a while, I wasn't
able to scan (tried to initiate a scan manually with iwlist, as NetworkManager
didn't bring anything up).
Hmm.. Could this be a faulty card? The strange thing is, it worked like a charm
when I was at the university, but not at home. Possible that it something else
causing interference here? Strange it is...
Created attachment 289914 [details]
messages log (/var/log/messages)
I'm reviewing this bug as part of the kernel bug triage project, an attempt to
isolate current bugs in the Fedora kernel.
I am CC'ing myself to this bug and will try and assist you in resolving it if I can.
There hasn't been much activity on this bug for a while. Could you tell me if
you are still having problems with the latest kernel?
If the problem no longer exists then please close this bug or I'll do so in a
few days if there is no additional information lodged.
I don't think there has been any kernel updates since the one posted in comment
#3. However, I have reset the router, so it now works merrily, as I did not get
any reply from here and the hardware was needed by other family members. That
means I cannot for now help you anymore.
But this probably excludes "faulty card" as an explanation, as everything worked
nicely after resetting the router (nothing changed on the PC).
Close this bug for now, and i'll reopen if the problem reappears.
Thanks for the update. Will close as requested. Thanks also for taking the time
to file the original bug.