Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 428388
Package Update Manager download progress redraw delay
Last modified: 2008-05-28 15:29:07 EDT
Description of problem:
The Package Updater download window does not redraw
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Invalidate the package download window while downloading.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Lauch the Package Update Manager when your system is not up to date.
2. Tell it to update.
3. Hide and reveal the download window.
1. The Package Update Manager presents a list of components that need updating.
2. The Package Update Manager shows the package download window with the
3. The download window contains background of the progress bar but not the
progress meter; it is impossible to tell the progress until the window redraws.
I have to wait a long time (several minutes) until it does.
3. The progress bar shows the progress meter without any delay.
A trivial solution to this problem would be to replace the customized and nifty
progress meter with a window with a different backgroud that changes its width
while the download proceeds, thereby delegating the burden of updating the meter
on to the X server.
Created attachment 291367 [details]
This isn't going to get changed at this point as pirut is pretty much entirely
EOL'd and only getting critical fixes for older releases. In Fedora 9 and
later, any such concerns can be filed against PackageKit/gnome-packagekit.