Bug 428472 - glabels PDF printing can go to wrong file
glabels PDF printing can go to wrong file
Status: CLOSED NEXTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: glabels (Show other bugs)
8
x86_64 Linux
low Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Peter Gordon
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-01-11 15:43 EST by Jonathan Corbet
Modified: 2008-01-18 19:42 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2008-01-18 19:42:58 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description Jonathan Corbet 2008-01-11 15:43:17 EST
Description of problem:

When two glabels windows are open, glabels can "print" to a PDF file other than
the one it claims to be creating.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):

2.0.4

How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open two different files in two glabels windows
2. "Print" the first file to PDF
3. "Print" the second file to a different PDF file name
4. Go back and "print" the first file again.  The dialog will show the
   filename given in step 2, but the file created will be the one named
   in step 3.
  
Actual results:

Output is written to the wrong file, overwriting what was there before.

Expected results:

Output is written to the file it says it's going to use.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Peter Gordon 2008-01-11 21:41:11 EST
Thanks for your bug report.

I just tried this with gLabels in Fedora 8 (2.0.4-7.fc8) and that in Development
(2.1.5-1.fc9); and unfortunately, I could not reproduce the error. 

Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded the F8 DVD and jewel case cover art from the Wiki; putting them
each in their own file as images. 
2. Printed the DVD to "Desktop/DVD.pdf" and the jewel case to
"Desktop/JewelCase.pdf"
3. I went to the DVD cover and printed it to PDF again (not changing anything),
and it properly printed to the DVD.pdf file instead of JewelCase.pdf (as I
believe it should have done assuming proper reproduction of your bug).

Are you using any special settings or configuration options that might be
affecting this, such as odd printing options? (E.g.: duplex or not? odd file
names perhaps?)
Comment 2 Jonathan Corbet 2008-01-12 12:20:54 EST
Very strange, you should have been able to reproduce it that way.  Just did it
again, here is the exact sequence:

1. Open lca-card-front.glabels, print immediately to "a.pdf"
2. Using the "open" button on the existing glabels window, open
lca-card-rear.glabels, print to "b.pdf"
3. Return to initial window and hit print.  Dialog says it will print to "a.pdf".
4. Hit the print button, verify that b.pdf has been overwritten

glabels doesn't have much in the way of configuration options, and I don't know
enough to go messing around in gconf.  If it helps, when I created the labels, I
selected A6 as the paper type and "generic A6 full page" for the label template.

Looking at your comment, I see you asked about duplex.  It seems that's enabled
by default; I tried again turning duplex off and got the same result.
Comment 3 Peter Gordon 2008-01-14 01:36:36 EST
Ahh! I see. I had them open in two separate gLabels instance instead of from the
same one via the "Open..." button.

With that, I was able to reproduce this properly. 

Now to find the cause of it... =)

I suspect at first glance that it's just a locking issue (e.g., both use the
same variable for what file they're output is to); but I'll put it through GDB
tomorrow after classes and try to debunk it for certain.

Thanks for the bug report!
Comment 4 Peter Gordon 2008-01-15 02:55:45 EST
Instead of fudging around with 2-year old code, I decided to try this with the
recently released version 2.2.0, and was unable to reproduce it. I believe this
is due to its shift into using the GtkPrint/Cairo/Pango stack.

I've built 2.2.0-1 for all three branches (F7, F8, and Development), and
requested that it be pushed to all updates-testing for F7 and F8. When this
happenes, will you please try to reproduce this issue with 2.2.0? 

Thanks. 
Comment 5 Jonathan Corbet 2008-01-18 13:47:11 EST
OK, I am unable to reproduce the problem with 2.2.0-1.

What I *do* notice is that my older glabels files don't look the same with the
new version - things don't line up the same, font sizes have shifted, etc.  Same
sort of thing I've noticed with OpenOffice on occasion.  It seems to be part of
the territory, and things can be fixed up, but it's definitely obnoxious.
Comment 6 Peter Gordon 2008-01-18 19:42:58 EST
Thanks, Jonathan. 

I'm going to close this bug as NEXTRELEASE then, since the new version seems to
fix this issue (though introducing others, certainly; but those will be fixed in
time...)

=)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.