From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98)
Description of problem:
ne compatible pnp ethernet card gets irq 3 attributed just like COM ports
(irq 3,irq 4) by boot. cat /proc/interrupts doesn't show irq from com
ports? It seems not possible to influence this behavior. At boot there is
always put in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf for ISAPNP network card 0x300,3. If
corresponding with conf.modules than ping 127.0.0.1 works, no other
machines possible to ping in network. Card works when configured 0x240,5.
I have to disable eth1, create a eth2 change /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and
conf.modules for that.
Works well on RH 7.0 on same machine 2.2.17. The only difference is isapnp
possibility in 2.4.2.
what is the problem? or do I make a configuration mistake.
Steps to Reproduce:
1.on each boot eth1 gets irq=3 io=0x300
Actual Results: not possible to run internal network
Expected Results: access internal network
Problem solved: explanation
- installed Redhat 7.1 from scratch
- made a traditional modules.conf (adding options io and irq for the isapnp
- did not work and cat /proc/interrupts showed a ne card on irq3 same as com
port irq3 in boot sequence
- additional I installed isapnp tools what made it more complicated
- reinstalled Redhat 7.1
- set only in modules.conf 'alias eth1 ne'
- rebooted and got automatically probed ne at io=0x240 irq=5
- in /etc/sysconfig/hwconfig the card is still mentioned on io=0x300 irq=5
- connection works
After a week of searching I didn't find a hint in the documentation available.
The doc mentions isapnp tools and my first modules.conf. Nobody mentions the
changes in configuration for Linux 2.4.