Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 432228
Review Request: nettle - A low-level cryptographic library
Last modified: 2012-06-23 15:51:04 EDT
Spec URL: http://ianweller.fedorapeople.org/SRPMS/nettle/1.15-1/nettle.spec
SRPM URL: http://ianweller.fedorapeople.org/SRPMS/nettle/1.15-1/nettle-1.15-1.fc8.src.rpm
Nettle is a cryptographic library that is designed to fit easily in more
or less any context: In crypto toolkits for object-oriented languages
(C++, Python, Pike, ...), in applications like LSH or GNUPG, or even in
Builds fine and rpmlint is silent.
I believe the license is LGPLv2+, not GPLv2+ as you have.
There's no reason to have a build dependency on glibc-common; it's installed
by default. I guess it doesn't hurt anything to have it there, though.
For the -devel description, it helps to say something about the package
including headers needed to compile programs using nettle.
I see you deleted the static library, but I wonder if that actually leaves any
point to this package. After all, what use are the headers if there's nothing
to link against? If all you have left are the three executables then I don't
think you can properly call this a library.
There's a test suite in the package which is easy to run, so this needs to be
done. Just put "make check" in a %check section.
All of the documentation is duplicated between the main and -devel packages.
You need to decide which files are useful for development and which (like the
license) are needed in the main package. But there's no point in installing
* source files match upstream:
* package meets naming and versioning guidelines.
* specfile is properly named, is cleanly written and uses macros consistently.
* summary is OK.
* description is OK.
* dist tag is present.
* build root is OK.
X license field does not match the actual license.
* license is open source-compatible.
* license text included in package.
* latest version is being packaged.
* BuildRequires are proper (glibc-common is redundant)
* compiler flags are appropriate.
* %clean is present.
* package builds in mock (rawhide, x86_64).
* package installs properly
* debuginfo package looks complete.
* rpmlint is silent.
* final provides and requires are sane:
nettle = 1.15-1.fc9
nettle-devel = 1.15-1.fc9
nettle = 1.15-1.fc9
X %check is not present, but a test suite is present.
* no shared libraries are added to the regular linker search paths.
* owns the directories it creates.
* doesn't own any directories it shouldn't.
X Many duplicated files.
* file permissions are appropriate.
* scriptlets are OK (install-info)
* code, not content.
* documentation is small, so no -doc subpackage is necessary.
* %docs are not necessary for the proper functioning of the package.
* headers are in the -devel package.
* no pkgconfig files.
* no static libraries.
* no libtool .la files.
Spec URL: http://ianweller.fedorapeople.org/SRPMS/nettle/1.15-2/nettle.spec
OK, the license is OK and the test suites are called:
All 39 tests passed
All 3 tests passed
There's only one remaining issue that I can see. The -devel package now
contains a static library, which is OK because this package doesn't build any
dynamic libraries. However, in this case, you also need to have the -devel
package provide nettle-static so that packages which will link against it can
require the -static package and thus be easily tracked. Please see the
"Packaging Static Libraries" section of
Since that's really just one line you need to add, I'll go ahead and approve
this and you can fix it when you check in.
New Package CVS Request
Package Name: nettle
Short Description: A low-level cryptographic library
Branches: F-7 F-8
Cvsextras Commits: yes
nettle-1.15-3.fc7 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 7
nettle-1.15-3.fc8 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 8
nettle-1.15-3.fc7 has been pushed to the Fedora 7 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
nettle-1.15-3.fc8 has been pushed to the Fedora 8 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
Package Change Request
Package Name: nettle
New Branches: EL-4 EL-5