Bug 434753 - Sometimes can't display VLGothic via "sansserif" family.
Sometimes can't display VLGothic via "sansserif" family.
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: vlgothic-fonts (Show other bugs)
9
All Linux
low Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Akira TAGOH
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-02-25 04:27 EST by Makoto Mizukami
Modified: 2009-02-15 21:10 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-02-15 21:10:44 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Sample RPM package for resolving this problem. (2.31 MB, application/x-rpm)
2008-02-25 04:27 EST, Makoto Mizukami
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Makoto Mizukami 2008-02-25 04:27:54 EST
Description of problem:
Since I installed "VLGothic-proportional" and "Dejavu LGC Sans" fonts, Japanese
characters have not been displayed correctly and displayed "□", called "tofu"
characters, in Flash, gxine, and etc. I found out that this problem occur
because VLG's config file in /etc/fonts/conf.d compete against Dejavu's that.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
VLGothic-fonts-proportional-20071215-2.fc8
dejavu-lgc-fonts-2.19-1

How reproducible:
Always in particular situation.

Steps to Reproduce:
Use particular applications. Example, Flash(you may make it sure by "Rightclick
- Settings") and gxine.
  
Actual results:
Displayed tofus.

Expected results:
Readable Japanese characters with VLGothic fonts displayed.

Additional info:
We discussed about this problem in "Fedora Users Community Japan".  Following is
the link to our discussion in BBS. We hope you find it informative:
http://fedora-jp.sourceforge.jp/modules/d3forum/index.php?topic_id=75
And I made a RPM package which will resolve this problem.  I will attach it.
Comment 1 Makoto Mizukami 2008-02-25 04:27:55 EST
Created attachment 295780 [details]
Sample RPM package for resolving this problem.
Comment 2 Makoto Mizukami 2008-02-25 05:30:50 EST
> in Flash, gxine, and etc.
> and gxine.
Sorry, not gxine, but xine-ui...
Comment 3 Nicolas Mailhot 2008-02-25 07:15:11 EST
NAK

1. please reproduce in a modern app like gedit - if it works there but not in
flash or xine-ui that's likely a flash/xine-ui problem (non-mainstream apps do
not expect complex font substitutions, windows does not do it and GTK1 had very
poor fonts support too)

2. Otherwise reading the wqy-bitmap-fonts thread in the Fonts SIG mailing list
archives will probably be instructive
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts#ML

The result has been checked in the Fedora devel wqy-bitmap-fonts package

Basically hijacking the general distribution fonts priorities to accomodate one
language group is a no-go, any solution must be non-intrusive for other scripts
and not assume particular distro-level font defaults (or installed font packages)
Comment 4 Makoto Mizukami 2008-02-26 05:29:41 EST
Then, please tell me why I can resolve this prob by changing the config filename.
And there is a diff between 59-VLGothic-sans.conf of F7 and the same file of F8.
Will you say that this diff has no relations with this problem?

> Basically hijacking the general distribution fonts priorities to accomodate one
language group is a no-go, any solution must be non-intrusive for other scripts
and not assume particular distro-level font defaults (or installed font packages)
I wonder whether I correctly understand what you said, but I can say that VL
Gothic is said to be next(F9's) default Japanese font.
Comment 5 Nicolas Mailhot 2008-02-26 05:52:00 EST
(In reply to comment #4)
> Then, please tell me why I can resolve this prob by changing the config
> filename.

Because that's how fontconfig priorities work. Read fontconfig docs or the Fonts
SIG documentation at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Fonts/Packaging/Fontconfig
to understand it.

And you're not solving the problem you're stomping on the font priorities of
every other script which suits you fine as you're mainly use japanese but won't
go well with other Fedora users, so it can not be a distribution default.

Please read the SIG ML archive as this has already been discussed to death for
wqy-bitmap-fonts, please read the Fonts SIG documentation, and if you still
don't understand why your proposed solution is not acceptable please discuss it
on the fonts ML.

> I wonder whether I correctly understand what you said, but I can say that VL
> Gothic is said to be next(F9's) default Japanese font.

That does not make it a suitable general-purpose default.
Comment 6 Makoto Mizukami 2008-02-26 17:34:11 EST
So, all I have to do is to close this report?
Comment 7 Nicolas Mailhot 2008-02-27 02:14:11 EST
(In reply to comment #6)
> So, all I have to do is to close this report?

No. All you have to do is

1. wait for the VLGothic maintainer to look at this report and propose a
solution (which won't be yours, and may not please you), OR 

2. go look at the pointers I provided and come with a solution that does not
fall short of the distribution constrains, that you'll test in the japanese
community and propose there later

2 is faster

Also the fedora-devel VLGothic package may already be different from the Fedora
8 package, so it's worth looking at it
Comment 8 Bug Zapper 2008-05-14 01:37:27 EDT
Changing version to '9' as part of upcoming Fedora 9 GA.
More information and reason for this action is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 9 Akira TAGOH 2008-12-05 05:12:09 EST
Just modified fontconfig config somewhat in F-11 according to current fontconfig policy. I don't know why current fontconfig config for VLGothic-fonts contains DejaVu thing though, please test it to see if this issue goes away. then I can backport the fix to F-10 and F-9.
Comment 10 Makoto Mizukami 2008-12-06 09:05:39 EST
Thank you for your assignation, Akira!
OK, I will test it.
Comment 11 Makoto Mizukami 2009-01-05 08:21:46 EST
Frankly speaking, I cannot represent this issue.

I have tested two applications, Adobe's flash and xine-ui.
Adobe Flash:
This problem didn't occur in both current F10 fontconfig and new F11 fontconfig(however, I think F11 config's appearnce is much better than F10 one, but it's not a problem).
xine-ui:
Japanese letters didn't displayed at all in both settings.  It seems another problem.

I give a lot of thanks to your great effort.
Comment 12 Akira TAGOH 2009-02-15 21:10:44 EST
Thanks for testing. closing so that the update is available on F-9 and F-10 now.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.