Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 434775
ACPI errors on HP xw4600
Last modified: 2013-10-24 11:09:19 EDT
Description of problem:
I did a clean Enterprise 5.1 install :
- power button did not work
- suspend left the screen blank
- hibernate an restart got me a blank screen
So i tried the last available kernel : 2.6.18-83.el5
- now power button works - but the ACPI ERRORS persist
- the virtual consoles are not displayed any more (blank screen)
- hibernate and suspend dont work
- really need power button and virtual consoles working
i created an sosreport you'll find it attached
Created attachment 295791 [details]
sosreport-xw4600 acpi problems
Is the situation any better if "acpi=off" is used at boot?
This problem is most often due to a BIOS bug and commonly affects HP XW series
The dmidecode output in the sysreport (from Comment #1) is empty. Can you check
to see what the BIOS revision is?
Created attachment 295809 [details]
rhel4u5 as sysreport
i did a test with rhel4u5 and the power button worked find. You'll find the
sysreport in comment #5
ok, but there are still ACPI ERRORS on shutdown :
ACPI-0691: *** Error: acpi_ev_gpe_dispatch: No handler or method fo GPF[3C],
- shutdown hangs
Bios on the xw4600 is v01.03
I did a reinstall of rhel5 and kernel-2.6.18-83. I booted with acpi=off. Virtual
screens are blank - nothing there at all. And hitting the power button will turn
of power to the system imediately - like pulling the cable, which was to be
I flashed the Bios to v01.07
Still the acpi-problems persist :
with kernel 2.6.18-53
- virtual consoles intact
- power button shows reaction ( gnome asks what to do ) but shows errors
with kernel 2.6.18-83
- no virtual consoles ( this might be worth a seperate bugzilla )
- power button shows reaction, but log has ACPI-Errors : ACPI Error
(evgpe-0711): No handler or method for GPE[xx], disabling event
- power button - gnome chosen reboot works
- power button - gnome chosen shutdown works
- suspend: system wakes up but leaves blank screen
- hibernate: (echo disk > /sys/power/state) wakes up (reachable via ssh) but
fails to show anything on screen.
HP released a new BIOS 1.34 Rev A on Aug 1, 2012.
New BIOS is available here.
Created rhts ticket for eng-ops to update the BIOS on their machine.
I have just hit the same problem (on Fedora 17) and applying BIOS update 1.34 does not solve the problem.
However, it seems disabling RAID configuration (which seems to be default on that system even if you own one single hard disk) in the BIOS gets ACPI to work properly. This looks like rain dance, but has occured to work for me, and can be a work around for this problem on some configurations. As soon as I disabled RAID, and reinstalled the very same Fedora 17 system, reboots got to work on this computer.
Does the system install or boot with kernel parameter acpi=off ?
Have waited 2 months for a reply.
Closing as INSUFFICIENTDATA
The reporter is free to reopen this bug, if he has an answer to the requested information.