Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 434865
Upgrade Request for Perl Module Test::Simple
Last modified: 2008-09-02 19:35:08 EDT
Description of problem:
Test::Simple is throwing false negatives when I do a make test on the Fedora 8
distribution. This caused by bugs in Version 0.67 that is fixed in later
versions of Test::Simple.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
The bugs occur in Version 0.67 of Test::Simple. I have tested with Version
0.75 and have verified that the fixes in the change log for Test::Simple did
indeed fix the false negatives I was receiving.
This is only reproducible with the particular type of software I am installing
on our server.
Steps to Reproduce:
Failed 3/18 test scripts, 83.33% okay. 425/1609 subtests failed, 73.59% okay.
All tests successful.
I realize that Test::Simple is packaged separately from perl, but I couldn't
find the correct component to file this under.
Test::Simple isn't packaged separately from perl (it ends up in its own
subpackage though), which is why you couldn't find it.
Rawhide will pick up this fix when we go to 5.10.0 (which has the newer
Test::Simple), but we could update this in F-7/F-8. Thoughts?
This would be useful to have in F-8, if possible. We won't jump major
revisions on our servers here very often, so I don't anticipate us going to F-9
for quite a while.
perl-5.8.8-38.fc8 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 8
perl-5.8.8-38.fc8 has been pushed to the Fedora 8 testing repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
If you want to test the update, you can install it with
su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update perl'. You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-2580
perl-5.8.8-38.fc8 has been pushed to the Fedora 8 stable repository. If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
The update to Test::Simple 0.78 in this update results in a failure to build from source of the current Test::Output package for Fedora 8 (a bunch of tests fail with messages about being unable to use strings as hash references while "strict refs" in use, rather like this report: http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.cpan.testers/2008/08/msg2071350.html).
I don't know whether this is a problem with Test::Output or with Test::Simple but I tried packaging up an RPM of Test::Simple 0.75 and using that in a mock build (my version was picked up because the F8 perl-Test-Simple package is still versioned at 0.62 for some reason) fixed the error. This problem does not affect Fedora 9 or Rawhide (which still have Test::Simple 0.72).