Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 435656
closing bluemarble causes desktop session to end
Last modified: 2008-04-07 15:58:37 EDT
Description of problem:
I don't have 3d on my test machine, but when I tried the 3D Earth Model desktop
applet it and then closed it, the KDE desktop session died unexpectedly.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. click Add Widgets in top-right corner
2. add 3D Earth Model (bluemarble)
3. close the desktop applet
desktop crashes and dies
Just widget to close
Nice to fix this or alternatively not install extragear-plasma by default?
I'm not sure which of these upstream bugs fits better:
KDE#151665 is a crash on startup of the applet and was fixed back in November,
so it can't be that.
KDE#152845 sounds more like it. I wouldn't call this a blocker, if you don't
have OpenGL shaders, then applets using them aren't expected to work. Now of
course crashing isn't nice...
In any case, as far as I can tell, that bug isn't fixed upstream yet (not even
in the trunk), and it isn't clear what component is at fault exactly
(BlueMarble, libplasma or Qt).
As discussed in the KDE SIG meeting, given:
* the usefulness of this applet (almost nil, it's a tech demo),
* how this is going to happen to a lot of people (as this requires not only
hardware OpenGL, but also shaders, to work),
* how the normal reaction to a non-working applet is to close it,
* the extent of the damage as this is done and
* that upstream is now targeting KDE 4.1 only with extragear-plasma,
I will simply disable the bluemarble applet in our extragear-plasma package, at
least until we have a working fix for this crash.
Bluemarble is gone in extragear-plasma-4.0.1-3.fc9.