Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 43639
gnorpm as root causes XML-CRITICAL error for Web Find; doesn't work.
Last modified: 2005-10-31 17:00:50 EST
From Bugzilla Helper:
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.2-2 i686)
Description of problem:
If logged in as root, loading gnorpm and then doing Web Find causes:
XML-CRITICAL **: Document is empty
XML-CRITICAL **: Start tag expect, '<' not found
Does NOT happen if logged in as another user, but then if not root,
installs usually fail...
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start gnorpm from bash prompt as root (or gnorpm-auth) or via GNOME menu
2. Select Web find
3. Voila, XML-CRITICAL errors printed on host shell, and only a template is
displayed in the web-find window.
I suspect that this is more of a local issue, but I cannot find what the
conflict is. It all works fine if I am non-root, do a web find, and just
select DOWNLOAD. Then I have to shell in as root to install the RPM...
Actual Results: XML-CRITICAL errors printed to host window (if started
from bash prompt)
Expected Results: Successful gnorpm web-find.
Some version information:
[root@mars /root]# rpm -qa | grep gnorpm
[root@mars /root]# rpm -qa | grep xml
[root@mars /root]# rpm -qa | grep gtk
Very strange, It works for me.
Could you try blowing away /home/root/.gnome/gnorpm* and try again?
Odder and odder.
At the moment, I'm not sitting at the console, so instead, I telnet'd in and
X'd back to my PC.
Went through the same steps I gave above, but this time it works.
It *has* been two months since I reported this, and I don't think I've tried
again since then, so it's possible up2date or my own RPM installs fixed
I'll try this again when I get back, and post the results.
It's completely possible that there was some snafu at the redhat ftp site.
I believe this was due to ftp site snafu. I'm closing this NOTABUG. If you still
get it, please reopen.
I've had this same problem on & off for a year or so (out-of-box RH7.1 has no
This **was** working prior to an up2date run 30th Oct 2k1
please re-open as BUG
This is not a bug in gnorpm. It is a problem with the files on the ftp servers.
It has been "fixed" once, but nobody seems to be maintaining that parts anymore.