Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 436582
rtl8185 wireless interface does not work after kernel upgrade
Last modified: 2008-03-10 14:30:35 EDT
Description of problem:
RTL8185 wireless interface (kernel module rtl8180) does not work after upgrade
to kernel 22.214.171.124-12. The results range from disabled interface to crash on
boot. Ethernet interface card with RTL8139 is also affected.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
The CPU is Athlon XP 2400
Steps to Reproduce:
1. have a machine with RTL8185 wireless card (main interface, working as
wlan0) and RTL8139 ethernet card (as eth0)
2. update to kernel 126.96.36.199-12 and reboot
3. wlan0 does not work after reboot. In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
ifcfg-wlan0 and ifcfg-eth0 backed up as ifcfg-wlan0.bak and ifcfg-eth0.bak
4. Rename the above files back to ifcfg-wlan0 and ifcfg-eth0 and reboot the
5. Machine hangs while initializing wlan0, Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LEDs on
No wireless connectivity at best
Wireless interface working as with previous kernels
Lots of wireless changes in later builds. Can you try
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=42024 and see how it goes?
It seems that after upgrade to kernel 188.8.131.52-22 things are much better.
Steps 1-4 are as above, but after renaming ifcfg files and rebooting, all
interfaces are working as expected. Thanks for the help.