Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 437764
openoffice.org does not show the "ی" character correctly
Last modified: 2008-03-26 06:49:10 EDT
Description of problem:
I'm using openoffice-2.3.0-6.11.fc8 and I've installed msttcorefonts package.
When I set my font to Tahoma, the "ی" character does not transform to small type
and always is shown as capital letter, when I type sime text in openoffice, and
then paste it to some html file and show in in firefox, that is shown correctly.
By the way, I'm using Iran/Pro keyboard layout.
Created attachment 298298 [details]
Here's a picture without tamoha installed, so before I get tamoha, is the above
picture correct ?
I have the same results after install mscorefonts, so can you attach a picture
of what's the wrong result in OOo, and perhaps attach the output of fc-list and
the output of rpm -qa | grep fonts.
If there is a problem here I suspect it might not be with Tamaho at all but with
some other font
Created attachment 298586 [details]
the wrong form.
this is the wrong form I see in openoffice. the right form is attached next.
Created attachment 298588 [details]
right form of the character
this is the right form of the character which is seen in firefox. (see the
right character) someone says that this is because firefox and oowriter decide
in different ways about using capital case or small case of characters.
Created attachment 298589 [details]
fc-list output is attached and more :
$ rpm -qa | grep fonts
Still not able to reproduce this, though I installed mscorefonts and then tried
to get as many fonts as were not from a specific rpm but were listed in the
I sort of suspect that there's an alternative substitution being given to OOo
which firefox doesn't get, e.g. because OOo only uses outline fonts, and that
the font is simply busted, and the same thing would be seen in all apps if they
also rejected non-outline fonts. But I can't get it to happen for me to identify
what font is truly in use here.
Created attachment 299018 [details]
sample document + used fonts
here is a sample document in which I used the tahoma font and arial font, and I
attached these two fonts too.
Thanks for your attention.
Created attachment 299109 [details]
Created attachment 299110 [details]
Created attachment 299111 [details]
Created attachment 299112 [details]
Your sample document contained the characters 06CC *followed by* 06A9, i.e.
"ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH" and then "ARABIC LETTER KEHEH", not just 06CC (ی)
"ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH" on its own.
If I place each character separately, or place them side by side to combine then
I get the same results in OOo, firefox and gedit with Arial.
In comment #9 I attach a sample openoffice.org document that has the 06CC on its
own, 06A9 on its own, and then both together to show the difference. It all
looks ok to me, and all the apps here that I have appear to agree as to how to
Yeah it's ok while I use arial font, the problem is with tahoma font. just
change the font to tahoma, in your own document, the ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH
will be shown in a different manner when it's beside ARABIC LETTER KEHEH.
Created attachment 299121 [details]
looks ok for me
Seeing as Tahoma does not have these glyphs, then there has to be a fallback in
operation, and its hard to figure how what's being used for the glyph fallback.
My own fallbacks appears to be working fine
I decided to change my tahoma font copied from another computer, it is fixed
now. Maybe if you use my attached tahoma font in tar.gz archive, you will see
what's wrong. But I think that's because my tahoma font was not standard. Who
I think I can change the status.