Bug 437767 - RFE: Make Live CD time zone behave like Evolution time zone chooser
RFE: Make Live CD time zone behave like Evolution time zone chooser
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: system-config-date (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
low Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Nils Philippsen
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
: FutureFeature
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-03-17 07:14 EDT by Valent Turkovic
Modified: 2013-01-09 23:36 EST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 1.9.32-1.fc8
Doc Type: Enhancement
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2008-07-08 22:42:53 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Evolution time zone chooser (105.91 KB, video/ogg)
2008-03-17 07:16 EDT, Valent Turkovic
no flags Details
Fedora LiveCD Time Zone Chooser (290.75 KB, video/ogg)
2008-03-17 07:47 EDT, Valent Turkovic
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Valent Turkovic 2008-03-17 07:14:24 EDT
Description of problem:
ps. there isn't a /usr/bin/liveinst component to select for submitting bugs and RFEs

During the install od Live CD you need to specify your time zone and that screen
is non-intuitive and the worst case of usability I saw on any Fedora component. 

I live in Croatia (Europe) and I need to click on Zagreb, I can't click it
because there are too much dots too close one to another and often click to some
neighbouring town - very frustrating.
There are +/- ie. zoom buttons but they just zoom the center of the image, so
after zooming you need to pan around to find capital of your country.
You can also use scroll wheel (if your hardware mouse has one, or you aren't on
a laptop) to zoom but you still have the same issue with panning.

I saw how Evolution has made an elegant time zone chooser so please just copy
it's workflow.

In evolution you try to click your country capital town and with that click
evolution automatically zooms to that part of the world so that you can click
again if you clicked on some neighbouring town by mistake.

I'm sending you a link to youtube video and a ogg video that I'm attaching so
that you can see more clearly what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssuKazErDQU

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:


Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.
  
Actual results:


Expected results:


Additional info:
Comment 1 Valent Turkovic 2008-03-17 07:16:12 EDT
Created attachment 298251 [details]
Evolution time zone chooser
Comment 2 Valent Turkovic 2008-03-17 07:47:26 EDT
Created attachment 298256 [details]
Fedora LiveCD Time Zone Chooser

here is how it currently choosing time zone on fedora works
Comment 3 Valent Turkovic 2008-03-17 07:55:05 EDT
and a youtube link for Fedora LiveCD Time Zone Chooser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvocRu2nvxo
Comment 4 Nils Philippsen 2008-03-18 13:51:52 EDT
(In reply to comment #0)
> During the install od Live CD you need to specify your time zone and that
> screen is non-intuitive and the worst case of usability I saw on any Fedora
> component. 

You have an interesting way of motivating somebody to help you.

> I live in Croatia (Europe) and I need to click on Zagreb, I can't click it
> because there are too much dots too close one to another and often click to
> some neighbouring town - very frustrating.
> There are +/- ie. zoom buttons but they just zoom the center of the image, so
> after zooming you need to pan around to find capital of your country.
> You can also use scroll wheel (if your hardware mouse has one, or you aren't
> on a laptop) to zoom but you still have the same issue with panning.

Some laptops (e.g. with Synaptics touchpads) emulate scrollwheels if you touch
and drag at the right/bottom borders. You can also pan by middle- or
right-clicking-and-dragging in the map (as the map's tooltip should have told you).

> I saw how Evolution has made an elegant time zone chooser so please just copy
> it's workflow.

"Just copying" evolution's workflow isn't possible as it is a huge project in a
totally different language than what's used here.

> In evolution you try to click your country capital town and with that click
> evolution automatically zooms to that part of the world so that you can click
> again if you clicked on some neighbouring town by mistake.

This is a much better description of what you want changed than "just do as XYZ
does". Actually, this wasn't really hard to implement --
system-config-services-1.9.24 which is building right now zooms into the map
when clicked. I've set it to zoom to 300% (if the zoom level is less than that),
tell me whether that helps with your issue.
Comment 5 Valent Turkovic 2008-03-19 04:45:43 EDT
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #0)
> > During the install od Live CD you need to specify your time zone and that
> > screen is non-intuitive and the worst case of usability I saw on any Fedora
> > component. 
> 
> You have an interesting way of motivating somebody to help you.

Sorry Nils but when english is not my primary language I have to be blunt to get
my message through. It is much harder for non native English speaking people to
talk "politely" and to get their message understood. Or at least I have that
problem in communicating.
I didnt meant to be mean or disrespectful I just go to the heart of the problem,
and in installing Fedora Live CD this one stood out as usability issue.


> > I live in Croatia (Europe) and I need to click on Zagreb, I can't click it
> > because there are too much dots too close one to another and often click to
> > some neighbouring town - very frustrating.
> > There are +/- ie. zoom buttons but they just zoom the center of the image, so
> > after zooming you need to pan around to find capital of your country.
> > You can also use scroll wheel (if your hardware mouse has one, or you aren't
> > on a laptop) to zoom but you still have the same issue with panning.
> 
> Some laptops (e.g. with Synaptics touchpads) emulate scrollwheels if you touch
> and drag at the right/bottom borders. You can also pan by middle- or
> right-clicking-and-dragging in the map (as the map's tooltip should have told
you).
> 
> > I saw how Evolution has made an elegant time zone chooser so please just copy
> > it's workflow.
> 
> "Just copying" evolution's workflow isn't possible as it is a huge project in a
> totally different language than what's used here.
> 
> > In evolution you try to click your country capital town and with that click
> > evolution automatically zooms to that part of the world so that you can click
> > again if you clicked on some neighbouring town by mistake.
> 
> This is a much better description of what you want changed than "just do as XYZ
> does". 

That is why I also included videos.

> Actually, this wasn't really hard to implement --
> system-config-services-1.9.24 which is building right now zooms into the map
> when clicked. I've set it to zoom to 300% (if the zoom level is less than that),
> tell me whether that helps with your issue.

Great Nils! Thank you very much. I'll check if it landed in fedora updates and
test it from there.

Cheers!
Comment 6 Nils Philippsen 2008-03-19 08:08:37 EDT
(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #4)
> > (In reply to comment #0)
> > > During the install od Live CD you need to specify your time zone and that
> > > screen is non-intuitive and the worst case of usability I saw on any Fedora
> > > component. 
> > 
> > You have an interesting way of motivating somebody to help you.
> 
> Sorry Nils but when english is not my primary language I have to be blunt to
> get my message through. It is much harder for non native English speaking
> people to talk "politely" and to get their message understood. Or at least I
> have that problem in communicating.

I'm not a native English speaker either, but I disagree. At least in public one
should try to avoid making extreme statements because they're most likely wrong
and prone to harming your credibility: e.g. you should have seen the TZ map
widget before, it was much worse. When talking about technical issues, stay with
facts as opposed to hyperbole, realize where something is just your opinion and
not the absolute truth, don't try to create an emotional setting as it may just
work out differently than you planned. This can be done in any language,
regardless of whether you're a native speaker or have only begun learning it.

Being polite to people rather helps speeding up things. Telling people that
they're stupid or produce crap has a high risk of getting you on their shit
list. It's highly improbable that this would help.

[...]
> That is why I also included videos.

The textual description of it would have been sufficient on its own -- your
English is actually not as bad as you seem to think.
Comment 7 Jon Stanley 2008-04-23 16:28:59 EDT
Adding FutureFeature keyword to RFE's.
Comment 8 Valent Turkovic 2008-04-28 03:43:08 EDT
This is done and works great!
I tested Fedora 9 preview and it is great.

Please feel free to close this RFE.
Comment 9 Fedora Update System 2008-07-01 05:53:39 EDT
system-config-date-1.9.32-1.fc8 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 8
Comment 10 Fedora Update System 2008-07-08 22:42:32 EDT
system-config-date-1.9.32-1.fc8 has been pushed to the Fedora 8 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.