Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 439137
PS3 fails booting with non-LVM root filesystem
Last modified: 2008-04-08 22:18:57 EDT
Description of problem:
The PLAYSTATION 3 fails booting when:
- root partition is located on the internal hard disk drive and,
- the root partition is *NOT* an LVM,
- initrd doesn't contain PS3 specific storage drivers,
i.e. ps3stor_lib, ps3disk, and,
- mkrootdev command of nash (maybe) can't handle the PS3 disk device (/dev/ps3d*)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
mkinitrd-6.0.39-1.fc9.ppc (F9 Beta)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Insert F9 Beta install DVD into PS3.
2. Run installer in text mode (PS3 doesn't have enough memory for GUI installer).
3. Choose 'Create custom layout' in 'Partitioning Type', and create the root
partition on /dev/ps3da in 'Partitioning' page.
4. Choose 'Customize software selection' in 'Package selection' page, and
disable 'Hardware Support' in the 'Package Group Selection' page (to avoid
anaconda's problem #437993).
5. Finish installation and reboot.
(quiet option is disabled)
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Mount failed for selinuxfs on /selinux: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Booting has failed.
PS3 can mount the root filesystem on /dev/ps3d*.
If the root partition is an LVM, PS3 can boot normally.
By adding the PS3 specific storage drivers to the initrd, and modifying
"root=" kernel option to specify the root device explicitly
(e.g. "root=/dev/ps3da1") by hand, PS3 becomes to be able to boot.
It looked like that this problem had the same cause, so I tried the fix for F8
attached to the Bug #389331 then it also resolved this problem in rawhide.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 389331 ***