Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 440998
virt manager create new machine using bridging device presents empty bridging dropdown
Last modified: 2014-08-05 07:18:43 EDT
Description of problem:
virt-manager on a system with kvm and qemu. When I create a new vm, the dropdown
listing bridging devices is empty.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1.install virt-manager, kvm, quem
2. set up a bridging device for eth0 of peth0
3. create a new machine in virt-manager
The bridging interface is empty when trying to create a new VM.
eth0(peth0) to come up as a available bridging interface
I've got a patch that corrects this problem!
It's a change to: /usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py
The diff is actually a bit of a tweak from:
--- /root/connection.py 2008-04-04 11:11:58.000000000 -0700
+++ /usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py 2008-04-04
@@ -160,19 +160,20 @@
self.hal_iface = None
def _device_added(self, path):
obj = self.bus.get_object("org.freedesktop.Hal", path)
- if obj.QueryCapability("net"):
- name = obj.GetPropertyString("net.interface")
- mac = obj.GetPropertyString("net.address")
+ obj_if = dbus.Interface(obj, 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device')
+ if obj_if.QueryCapability("net"):
+ name = obj_if.GetPropertyString("net.interface")
+ mac = obj_if.GetPropertyString("net.address")
# Now magic to determine if the device is part of a bridge
shared = False
bridge = None
# XXX Linux specific - needs porting for other OS - patches
- sysfspath = obj.GetPropertyString("linux.sysfs_path")
+ sysfspath = obj_if.GetPropertyString("linux.sysfs_path")
# If running a device in bridged mode, there's a reasonable
# chance that the actual ethernet device has been renamed to
# something else. ethN -> pethN
For reference I was getting this problem with dbus-1.1.2-9.fc8 installed.
So this doesn't seem to be a duplicate of: 435506
Urm, are you sure you have virt-manager-0.5.3-2.fc8 installed ?
The patch you reference is already included in 0.5.3-2.fc8 in the file:
* Mon Mar 19 2008 Daniel P. Berrange <firstname.lastname@example.org> - 0.5.3-2.fc8
- Fix cdrom media connect
- Fix default Xen hypervisor URI
- Fix DBus calls to use an explicit interface (rhbz #435506)
- Fix adding blktap disk to PV guest via addhardware wizard
- Fix adding shared network devices via addhardware wizard
Yes, I'm sure:
rpm -qa virt-manager
I had done a yum upgrade from a older version(virt-manager-0.5.3-1.fc8). Would
the patch not get applied?
I just checked:
It appears to have this patch.
I just installed a new machine, it's got the patch.
I'm not sure my system had a problem with that upgrade.
I'm satisfied that this bug is closed now.
Closing WORKSFORME per reporters request.