Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 445309
Totem no longer plays DVDs
Last modified: 2008-05-19 07:23:07 EDT
Description of problem:
Shortly after install f9-preview and installing the necessary livna
gst-plugins-* totem played DVDs. I couldn't get the DVD menu to work, but it
played the movie and navigation worked well (which was a big improvement).
Since this time an update in rawhide (or possibly livna, but I don't think so)
has resulted in DVD playback no longer working. I know get a message saying
that I don't have the necessary plugins.
I've also tried the old dvd:///[0-9] method of playback, but this doesn't work
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
[rodd@localhost yum.repos.d]$ rpm -q totem
[rodd@localhost yum.repos.d]$ rpm -qa | grep gst
You're probably missing a decent mpeg demuxer:
What the actual error message you're getting?
Created attachment 304620 [details]
Message when a DVD is inserted in the drive
This is what I see when I put a DVD in the drive and then tell it to play the
Created attachment 304621 [details]
Message when I try to play DVD from File menu
This is what I get when I try to play the inserted DVD from the File menu
Is the disc encrypted? DVD playback works for me with the gstreamer and xine
Most likely. But when I first installed f9-preview (and related livna packages)
it played fine. So something has gone wrong between then and now.
Changing version to '9' as part of upcoming Fedora 9 GA.
More information and reason for this action is here:
Note: are you sure you are using the GStreamer backend of Totem. Check the about
box please, and run "totem-backend -b gstreamer" as root if GStreamer isn't
Created attachment 305925 [details]
About Totem (using gstreamer)
This is the about dialog. I'm pretty sure this means I'm using gstreamer.
Argh, I've just read back over the comments and you are right. I wasn't using
gstreamer (xine had been installed at some stage, but I didn't do it).
I thought I posted this (so I'm wondering where I posted it) but I did comment
somewhere that I removed xine and switched back to gstreamer and could play
DVD's again, but that the seek stuff wasn't working.
Argh. I'm going to track down where I stuffed up and clear the water and close
I'm going to close this.
The problem with seeking seems to be reported in #445491 and I don't know where
that other comment about using xine went.