Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 445333
Weather report in 'Clock' applet is from where
Last modified: 2008-05-07 22:16:04 EDT
Description of problem:
I have both the weather-applet and the clock applet displaying the weather.
Currently the weather applet thinks it's 14C and that it's raining. (It's
correct). The clock applet thinks the weather is 25C and clear (It's nowhere
I've got the preferences for the time zones set for Melbourne, AUST and
Thornton, Massachusetts and the AUST address is 'home'.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Hmm, I haven't seen that happen recently.
Is the clock applet showing the weather information for Thornton, even though
Melbourne appears to be the selected location ?
Out of interest, could you run
gconftool-2 --get /apps/panel/applets/applet_59/prefs/cities
where you need to replace applet_59 by the id that your clock applet uses in gconf.
[rodd@localhost ~]$ gconftool-2 --get /apps/panel/applets/clock/prefs/cities
[<location name="Melbourne\, CC" timezone="Australia/Melbourne"
latitude="-37.816666" longitude="144.966660" code="YPPH"
current="true"/>,<location name="Taunton" timezone="America/New_York"
latitude="41.875557" longitude="-71.021111" code="K9B0" current="false"/>]
I don't think it's for Taunton. The sun shines at the right time of day for
Melbourne (and Taunton is on the other side of the globe, or pretty close to it)
odd, my melbourse has a different weather code
<location name="Melbourne" timezone="Australia/Melbourne" latitude="-37.666668"
longitude="144.833328" code="YMML" current="false"/>
YPPH seems to be Perth. So, there you have it, the sun shines in Perth...
Ah, you made me look and it turns out the search system gave me the wrong
melbourne. I had melbourne, cc which when I checked showed a time zone in
america somewhere, which is strange, since my timezone is listed as
Anyhow, I used the tool to re-search for melbourne and it came up with the right
one this time and at this stage the temperature is also correct for melbourne.
I'll close this, but it might be worth keeping in the back of your mind when
similar stuff comes up (if it does) as something about the initial selection
process hasn't worked.
If you can tell me how to wipe the slate clean so I can redo the set up process
to help isolate the issue, I'd be happy to try.