Bug 445499 - [PATCH] Update to 1.0 Beta 1
[PATCH] Update to 1.0 Beta 1
Status: CLOSED CURRENTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: banshee (Show other bugs)
9
All Linux
low Severity low
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Nigel Jones
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
: Reopened
Depends On: 444670 445611
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-05-07 03:56 EDT by David Nielsen
Modified: 2008-07-26 02:11 EDT (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version: 0.99.1-2.fc9
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2008-05-21 07:09:45 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)

  None (edit)
Description David Nielsen 2008-05-07 03:56:23 EDT
Description of problem:

Banshee 1.0 Beta 1 is out, many new features and many bugfixes:
http://banshee-project.org/Releases/0.99.1

I've taken the liberty to do the required work and clean up the spec a bit:

http://dnielsen.fedorapeople.org/banshee-0.99.1-1.fc9.src.rpm
http://dnielsen.fedorapeople.org/banshee.spec
Comment 1 Nigel Jones 2008-05-07 05:18:19 EDT
I've had a working spec file for a good few hours now, just in the midst of getting some small kinks 
sorted out (i.e. SELinux).  

On a side note, I would have already have had it in rawhide if it wasn't for an urgent trip into the city and 
SELinux.
Comment 2 David Nielsen 2008-05-07 05:53:33 EDT
ah well.. I was bored.
Comment 3 Nigel Jones 2008-05-08 07:02:42 EDT
Reopening so I have a reference bug for updating F9 when it's out, also depending on the two podsleuth 
bugs because although shipping with broken iPod support may not be a crime to some, I'd perfer not to.  
I'll be able to reevaluate it all and try and come up with a solution this weekend.
Comment 4 David Nielsen 2008-05-08 07:20:51 EDT
I noticed some areas of the spec that are really in need of cleaning up, such as
requiring avahi-sharp (which is replaced with mono-zeroconf) and many other
little things. If you attach your current spec I would be happy to review it. I
fear I didn't exactly turn over the spec in the best state when I orphaned it
and my working copy was much nicer.
Comment 5 David Nielsen 2008-05-09 08:45:57 EDT
I talked a bit to upstream and they have some requests for packagers:

For beta 1 we should observe the instability of the podcast plugin and disable
it, they aim to have it working for beta 2. Currently I believe we enable it. It
will crash as soon as a feed is added so it is utterly useless anyways and only
serves to anger users against Banshee and Fedora.

Also there's a request that we ship banshee 1.0 as banshee-1 to allow parallel
installation of 0.13.2 and ensure that users understand the developmental nature
of the current 1.0 - I would personally favor the approach we have now as the
work required to get banshee 0.13.2 to conform to the demands on using system
libraries would be more work than pushing 1.0 back to the stable repos when it
is working well in F9/F10.
Comment 6 Nigel Jones 2008-05-10 05:04:45 EDT
Updates System *should* have posted the following message, but I put the wrong
bug number in...

banshee-0.99.1-1.1.fc9 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 9

(In reply to comment #5)
> I talked a bit to upstream and they have some requests for packagers:
> 
> For beta 1 we should observe the instability of the podcast plugin and disable
> it, they aim to have it working for beta 2. Currently I believe we enable it. It
> will crash as soon as a feed is added so it is utterly useless anyways and only
> serves to anger users against Banshee and Fedora.
This is now disabled, I'll be keeping an eye out for this.
> 
> Also there's a request that we ship banshee 1.0 as banshee-1 to allow parallel
> installation of 0.13.2 and ensure that users understand the developmental nature
> of the current 1.0 - I would personally favor the approach we have now as the
> work required to get banshee 0.13.2 to conform to the demands on using system
> libraries would be more work than pushing 1.0 back to the stable repos when it
> is working well in F9/F10.
As we are now in beta, there isn't much point to this in my opinion.

I'd sooner us concentrate efforts on the 1.0 release.  Banshee is pretty stable
for me at the moment AND there doesn't seem to be too much precedent for this to
happen.
Comment 7 Thomas J. Baker 2008-05-12 10:09:58 EDT
For ipod support, based on the current version in koji, the SPEC additionally
needs --with-ipod on the configure line and a BuildRequires of ipod-sharp-devel.
Seems to work rather slickly after that (with updated koji podsleuth and
permissive selinux.)
Comment 8 Thomas J. Baker 2008-05-12 10:23:01 EDT
And the Requires: libipoddevce  is no longer needed, replaced by podsleuth.
Comment 9 Nigel Jones 2008-05-12 18:38:17 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> For ipod support, based on the current version in koji, the SPEC additionally
> needs --with-ipod on the configure line and a BuildRequires of ipod-sharp-devel.
*DOH*  Thank you!

> Seems to work rather slickly after that (with updated koji podsleuth and
> permissive selinux.)

Try the policy files on bug #444670 and let me know :)  If they work then I'll
fix up that voodoo and push it to F-9/Rawhide.  Strangely enough no AVCs on F-8
with podsleuth.

I'm preparing a -2 banshee right now with those fixes.
Comment 10 David Nielsen 2008-05-13 04:25:52 EDT
just as a reminder the following change was checked in the day after beta1 was
released:

* build/m4/banshee/dap-mtp.m4:
	* build/m4/banshee/dap-ipod.m4:
	* configure.ac: Make iPod and MTP support the default, such that if you
	don't have ipod-sharp or libmtp, you will get a configure error unless you
	pass --disable-ipod/mtp.  Should help clarify what we view a default
	Banshee install to include.

So --with-ipod can be removed when beta2 is pushed.
Comment 11 Fedora Update System 2008-05-13 11:25:53 EDT
banshee-0.99.1-2.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 testing repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
 If you want to test the update, you can install it with 
 su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update banshee'.  You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-3666
Comment 12 Bug Zapper 2008-05-14 06:45:16 EDT
Changing version to '9' as part of upcoming Fedora 9 GA.
More information and reason for this action is here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/HouseKeeping
Comment 13 Sindre Pedersen Bjørdal 2008-05-15 19:36:58 EDT
Banshee 0.99.1 doesn't work with earlier pre-beta 1.0 prerelease databases. As
such user have to remove the database located in ~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db
to be able to run banshee. The package needs to deal with this somehow.
Comment 14 David Nielsen 2008-05-15 20:02:46 EDT
use the nuke-tables script from the banshee svn to handle that.
Comment 15 Nigel Jones 2008-05-16 01:47:23 EDT
(In reply to comment #13)
> Banshee 0.99.1 doesn't work with earlier pre-beta 1.0 prerelease databases. As
> such user have to remove the database located in ~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db
> to be able to run banshee. The package needs to deal with this somehow.

I must say, I didn't experience any problems in my upgrade, unless your talking
about 0.1x.x packages?
Comment 16 David Nielsen 2008-05-16 08:32:45 EDT
(In reply to comment #15)
> (In reply to comment #13)
> > Banshee 0.99.1 doesn't work with earlier pre-beta 1.0 prerelease databases. As
> > such user have to remove the database located in ~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db
> > to be able to run banshee. The package needs to deal with this somehow.
> 
> I must say, I didn't experience any problems in my upgrade, unless your talking
> about 0.1x.x packages?

Banshee will correctly upgrade the database from 0.13.2, however if you have had
the pre alpha 1 1.0 build from SVN installed your database will not correctly
upgrade. There is a tool in the SVN called nuke-tables I think that will clean
out the invalid entries in your database. However I don't see this as relevant
for Fedora as we have not shipped any such problematic builds and if people ran
svn on their own it's not our responsibility to save their behinds.
Comment 17 Nigel Jones 2008-05-16 19:58:07 EDT
(In reply to comment #16)
> (In reply to comment #15)
> > (In reply to comment #13)
> > > Banshee 0.99.1 doesn't work with earlier pre-beta 1.0 prerelease databases. As
> > > such user have to remove the database located in
~/.config/banshee-1/banshee.db
> > > to be able to run banshee. The package needs to deal with this somehow.
> > 
> > I must say, I didn't experience any problems in my upgrade, unless your talking
> > about 0.1x.x packages?
> 
> Banshee will correctly upgrade the database from 0.13.2, however if you have had
> the pre alpha 1 1.0 build from SVN installed your database will not correctly
> upgrade. There is a tool in the SVN called nuke-tables I think that will clean
> out the invalid entries in your database. However I don't see this as relevant
> for Fedora as we have not shipped any such problematic builds and if people ran
> svn on their own it's not our responsibility to save their behinds.
> 
Yes, I was talking to one of the Banshee dev's, it does not appear to be a
packaging issue.

Although, this 'bug' might be fixed in the future upstream though.
(In reply to comment #11)
> banshee-0.99.1-2.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 testing repository.  If
problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
>  If you want to test the update, you can install it with 
>  su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update banshee'.  You can provide
feedback for this update here:
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-3666

Just a reminder, assuming that it works, a WFM or two wouldn't go amiss for
getting it pushed, otherwise let me know.
Comment 18 Fedora Update System 2008-05-21 07:09:43 EDT
banshee-0.99.1-2.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
Comment 19 Fedora Update System 2008-07-26 02:11:04 EDT
banshee-0.99.1-2.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.