Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 446484
Amarok cannot use system-wide proxy settings in GNOME or environment
Last modified: 2009-01-09 15:41:39 EST
Description of problem:
Trying to get Amarok, which is installed under GNOME, to submit playcounts to
last.fm using a proxy server. This does not work. It does not respect the
system-wide setting in gnome-network-preferences, nor does it respect the
environment variables HTTP_PROXY or http_proxy (neither upper or lower case).
According to the documentation Amarok use the settings from KDE kcontrol, but I
don't have KDE, and I expect it to atleast fall back to HTTP_PROXY settings if
it cannot use the GNOME stuff. (Which I do understand is not a priority for Amarok.)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Play songs in Amarok behind a proxy, set proxy to something
2. Reload your last.fm page after playing some songs
No playcounts reported, Amarok also says it fails.
Respect some system-wide proxy and submit the playcounts.
afaik, gnome-network-preferences is gnome-specific, and there doesn't exist
anything akin to a system-wide proxy (maybe HTTP_PROXY? I'll have to
Normally, I'd say just recommend:
yum install kdebase3
to configure kde3's proxy settings, but it would appear we omitted the proxy
module from kdebase3.
Using the GNOME preferences is not going to happen.
As for HTTP_PROXY, the problem is that there are many proxy configurations this
simple environment variable just cannot candle. But I guess it would be worth
interpreting this if it's set. I doubt this is going to happen in the KDE 3
(By the way, no need to rant about KDE 4's proxy support or lack thereof, we
already have 2 bug reports for that. ;-) Let's keep this about KDE 3
(In reply to comment #1)
> afaik, gnome-network-preferences is gnome-specific,
> and there doesn't exist
> anything akin to a system-wide proxy (maybe HTTP_PROXY? I'll have to
> double-check that).
That's more or less de facto, for example yum respects HTTP_PROXY.
> Normally, I'd say just recommend:
> yum install kdebase3
> kcmshell proxy
> to configure kde3's proxy settings, but it would appear we omitted the proxy
> module from kdebase3.
Is there a separate bug for that?
And shouldn't Amarok Requires: kdebase3 in that case?
I'll see what it takes to reenable kcm_proxy, I know at least one application
which wants to display it as part of its UI (ktigcc at repo.calcforge.org), and
it'll also help with this bug.
I just checked and it's there. proxy.desktop is installed and kcm_kio.so, which
contains the KCM, is present. Doesn't:
I tried, 'kcmshell proxy' did nothing for me.
MathStuf tested this (also on F9) and "kcmshell proxy" worked for him. Did you
try this before or after your latest change to kdebase3 which correctly sets
those .desktop files to hidden? (I'm asking because maybe that's breaking
ok, kcmshell not working must be just me... I can't seem to get any kde3 kcm's
to work on my box.
So, is there anything more to this than suggesting:
yum install kdebase3
Nothing happens on my boxen when typing "kcmshell proxy" either. I tried
kcmshell proxy http://www-proxy....:8080
believing it perhaps sets variables, but needless to say, this didn't work
either. Som HOWTO would be great here.
What version of kdebase3 do you have (output of rpm -q kdebase3)? If none at
all, install it and try again.
Yep installing kdebase3 makes it possible to run "kcmshell proxy" which
can be configured correctly and this solves the problem! Songcounts are
now submitted properly.
I missed kdebase3 since kcmshell was present (comes from kdelibs3, required
Does this boil down to the fact that the package amarok should acually:
to be fully functional? Not that I know if users of Amarok not using KDE
would understand this quite complex procedure, but anyway...
I think most programs respect HTTP_PROXY so I still believe this could be
fixed, if you have a pointer into the Amarok source code where proxy
is read up I could take a stab at fixing and testing this.
Depends on your definition/notion of "fully funtional". This is a truly
optional piece of kde functionalility and infrastructure, so would be hesitant
to force it on everyone via a hard Requires.
IMHO the right fix would be for KDE 3 to understand KDE 4's proxy settings (if
this isn't already the case, has anybody tried how setting them in one KDE
version affects the other?), not GNOME's or some environment variable's.
Still an issue or has it been resolved? If not is it something we need to purse
with the impending 4.1 and Amarok2
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 10 development cycle.
Changing version to '10'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
The information we've requested above is required in order to review this problem report further and diagnose or fix the issue if it is still present. Since it has been thirty days or more since we first requested additional information, we're assuming the problem is either no longer present in the current Fedora release, or that there is no longer any interest in tracking the problem.
Setting status to "CLOSED: INSUFFICIENT_DATA". If you still experience this problem after updating to our latest Fedora release and can provide the information previously requested, please feel free to reopen the bug report.
Thank you in advance.