Bug 448693 - Some foreign (mostly Asian) characters are not displayed
Some foreign (mostly Asian) characters are not displayed
Status: CLOSED NEXTRELEASE
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: WebKit (Show other bugs)
9
All Linux
high Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Peter Gordon
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?...
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-05-28 05:24 EDT by Martin Sourada
Modified: 2009-02-04 21:08 EST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2009-02-04 21:08:58 EST
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
Fonts in WebKit vs. Gecko (315.57 KB, image/png)
2008-05-28 05:24 EDT, Martin Sourada
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description Martin Sourada 2008-05-28 05:24:34 EDT
Description of problem:
Some characters aren't displayed using WebKit backend and some look different
than in firefox (see attachment). The characters I noticed that are not
displayed are from Japanese syllabary, Chinese characters and Korean characters.
The characters I noticed that have different look when used in gecko based
browsers are from the language displayed in the language list after Alemannisch.
I am not sure whether it's Fedora specific issue, so I filled it here. If you
think that it is an upstream problem I can file a bug upstream as well.

I reproduced it both in Midori and local build of Epiphany svn snapshot (uses
WebKit backend).

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
WebKit-gtk-1.0.0-0.9.svn32531.fc9

How reproducible:
always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. start Midori (or other WebKit based browser)
2. load wikipedia.org
  
Actual results:
Some characters are missing

Expected results:
Characters are correctly displayed

Additional info:
Same issue is present when I rebuild the package with r34153 snapshot.
Comment 1 Martin Sourada 2008-05-28 05:24:34 EDT
Created attachment 306908 [details]
Fonts in WebKit vs. Gecko
Comment 2 Denis Jacquerye 2008-05-28 07:15:57 EDT
> The characters I noticed that have different look when used in gecko based 
> browsers are from the language displayed in the language list after Alemannisch.
That's Amharic with Ethiopic script.
Comment 3 Martin Sourada 2008-05-31 05:43:15 EDT
Upstream bugs that describe this issue:

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16792
https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18546
Comment 4 Martin Sourada 2008-09-10 04:30:28 EDT
It has been fixed in upstream, r36309 for FreeType backend:

http://cia.vc/stats/project/WebKit/.message/1c236c3
Comment 5 Peter Gordon 2008-10-24 04:10:56 EDT
I just pushed SVN 37790 to Rawhide a few hours ago, and I successfully tested it on that Wikipedia page with the freetype backend, and it seems to be fixed for the time being.
Comment 6 Martin Sourada 2008-10-24 18:15:04 EDT
(In reply to comment #5)
> I just pushed SVN 37790 to Rawhide a few hours ago, and I successfully tested
> it on that Wikipedia page with the freetype backend, and it seems to be fixed
> for the time being.

I can confirm. I've tested it with midori (and on lot more pages than just wikipedia ;-).
Comment 7 Fedora Update System 2009-01-15 21:54:52 EST
WebKit-1.0.0-0.13.svn37790.fc9 has been submitted as an update for Fedora 9.
http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/WebKit-1.0.0-0.13.svn37790.fc9
Comment 8 Fedora Update System 2009-01-16 18:41:56 EST
WebKit-1.0.0-0.13.svn37790.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 testing repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.
 If you want to test the update, you can install it with 
 su -c 'yum --enablerepo=updates-testing-newkey update WebKit'.  You can provide feedback for this update here: http://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2009-0608
Comment 9 Fedora Update System 2009-02-04 21:08:50 EST
WebKit-1.0.0-0.13.svn37790.fc9 has been pushed to the Fedora 9 stable repository.  If problems still persist, please make note of it in this bug report.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.