Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 449199
Should use xdg-utils instead of XMMS
Last modified: 2008-06-10 12:08:49 EDT
Description of problem:
gtkpod uses XMMS to playback and enqueue songs on the iPod, which is not
mentioned as one of gtkpod's dependencies.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Every time you try to play songs on a iPod from gtkpod on a system not having XMMS.
A better solution would be to use xdg-open (from xdg-utils) instead of XMMS for
playing back the songs so that the system's default music player is used instead
Created attachment 307265 [details]
Patch to use xdg-open instead of xmms for playback
Thanks for pointing this out Debarshi (reports with patches are the best kind).
Before I apply this patch, I'm curious if you have any ideas for handling the
similar Enqueue menu item. It doesn't seem that xdg-open has any notion of
adding a track to an already running player. So even with the fix for Play Now,
Enqueue is still broken by default.
Worth noting perhaps is that upstream has gstreamer playback support in a
branch. If that gets finished up, it might mean that both the Play Now and
Enqueue options will go away entirely.
That branch isn't moving all that fast though, and it might not ever get merged,
but it's there. With a little love it could solve this problem in a nicer way.
(In reply to comment #2)
> Enqueue is still broken by default.
Yes, I had noticed the problem earlier too and then decided not to touch it.
Thinking of it now, we can replace the command for enqueue with an empty string.
Don't know how Gtkpod will handle that (no access to my machine right now), but
it does offer a dialog to customize these commands so the user could put in
something if he wants to.
Created attachment 308637 [details]
Remove default command for enqueuing songs.
So if we remove XMMS from enqueuing songs and provide no other alternative, the
user gets: "No command set for 'Enqueue'". This probably looks better than what
we have now, which makes it look like something is broken.
That sounds reasonable to me. I've applied the patch and it's built for
rawhide. I'll hold off on pushing this to any release branches for now. There
are some other upstream fixes pending that I'm hoping to push an update for
before too long. Thanks!