I finally decided to bite the bullet and try once again to upgrade from the
XFree86 3.3.6 Mach64 server to the XFree86 4 server with the ATI driver.
The last time I tried this, quite a while ago, the results were so
disastrous that I was scared away from using the XFree86 4 server for quite
This time, Xconfigurator seemed to generate an XF86Config-4 file for me
with no problem. However, when I tried to use it, to start the server, I
got a whole bunch of errors of the form "Symbol .LC2 from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a is unresolved!" I am at a loss to
explain these. I will attach my XF86Config-4 file and the log from the
failed server run.
Needless to say, I have reversed to the XFree86 3.3.6 server for the time
Created attachment 21426 [details]
my XF86Config-4 file
Created attachment 21427 [details]
Log from failed X server run
See bug 44954 as well.
Yes this is a known problem which is due to changes in gcc that do not work
well with the X module loader. A new package will be available before long,
please read the dupe bugs for details.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 44954 ***