Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 455135
PXE installation improvements
Last modified: 2008-08-27 10:43:52 EDT
I am now installing F9 using PXE from FTP mirror. A couple of ideas:
0. Installation guide should contain a short description which files should I
have to start pxe *without cobbler*. My server is debian and I already have
tftp/dhcp environment, so it should be a matter of putting kernel and initrd
into the right directory.
1. Put a list of mirrors into the installator. It took me few minutes to find
proper mirror and another few minutes for checking what part of path I have to
type into the dialog. It is not so obvious that the path must end with "os/".
Debian does that, much easier.
2. There should be a progress bar for downloading stage2 file. It is over 100MB,
so it takes some time to get it when it is not locally available.
3. Anakonda should at least gray out buttons after clicking "Next" button and
before showing next screen. My installation machine is not fast and i sometimes
clicked twice there. This can lead to skipping screens.
(0) Please open a new bug against the Installation Guide asking for this to be described.
(1) You'll no longer need a list of mirrors, as we are now automatically using the mirrorlist URL unless you explicitly say otherwise.
(2) This has been committed and will be in the next build of anaconda.