Bug 456490 - can't activate scim xim in poedit under en_US.utf8
can't activate scim xim in poedit under en_US.utf8
Status: CLOSED ERRATA
Product: Fedora
Classification: Fedora
Component: scim (Show other bugs)
rawhide
All Linux
low Severity medium
: ---
: ---
Assigned To: Peng Huang
Fedora Extras Quality Assurance
:
Depends On:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2008-07-23 22:54 EDT by 甘露(Gan Lu)
Modified: 2008-10-28 02:33 EDT (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Fixed In Version:
Doc Type: Bug Fix
Doc Text:
Story Points: ---
Clone Of:
Environment:
Last Closed: 2008-10-28 02:33:25 EDT
Type: ---
Regression: ---
Mount Type: ---
Documentation: ---
CRM:
Verified Versions:
Category: ---
oVirt Team: ---
RHEL 7.3 requirements from Atomic Host:
Cloudforms Team: ---


Attachments (Terms of Use)
.xsession-errors (2.07 KB, application/octet-stream)
2008-08-11 01:13 EDT, 甘露(Gan Lu)
no flags Details
strace -f poedit > strace.log 2>&1 (1.60 MB, application/octet-stream)
2008-08-11 01:24 EDT, 甘露(Gan Lu)
no flags Details
strace log for a successful experience (16.39 MB, application/octet-stream)
2008-08-12 10:49 EDT, 甘露(Gan Lu)
no flags Details

  None (edit)
Description 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-07-23 22:54:18 EDT
Description of problem:
Can't activate SCIM (input method) under en_US.utf8, works only under
zh_CN.utf8, but other applications works well.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):


How reproducible:
Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1.Open poedit
2.try to use keyboard shortcut to activate SCIM
3.doesn't work neither if you click the icon in tray area.
  
Actual results:
Nothing happens

Expected results:
SCIM panel shows up, and user can use it to input saying Chinese.

Additional info:
Comment 1 Jens Petersen 2008-07-31 03:09:48 EDT
Hotkey is only defined for Asian locale by default.
Comment 2 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-07-31 07:05:54 EDT
I have enabled it manually, so that's not the problem, since almost all other
applications (saying gnome-terminal, gedit, Openoffice etc) work fine here. BTW,
I think hotkey should be defined for all utf8 locale, there are many people
using en_US.utf8 for GUI but occasionally or frequently need to input
Chinese/Japanese.
Comment 3 Jens Petersen 2008-07-31 21:22:08 EDT
I'll try with rawhide soon - I don't have a working install right.

(Looks ok to me on F9.)
Comment 4 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-01 07:47:18 EDT
It's really strange last time I updated imsetting stuff yesterday, it worked for
a moment, but when I relogin, it returns to null. :-(. I am currently on the F9.
Comment 5 Jens Petersen 2008-08-04 02:12:17 EDT
Which input method are you using to input Chinese?

Japanese and Chinese input to poedit seems ok to me in current rawhide too with en_US.UTF-8.

What is your output of "locale" and "rpm -qa scim\*|sort"?
Comment 6 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-04 03:23:02 EDT
I currently use scim-python-pinyin, but if I remember right scim-pinyin doesn't work neither. Here is my locale:
[ganlu@localhost ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
and: 
[root@localhost ganlu]# rpm -qa scim\*|sort
scim-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
scim-libs-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
scim-python-0.1.13rc1-1.fc9.i386
scim-python-pinyin-0.1.13rc1-1.fc9.i386

I tried it's working without scim-bridge on Arch Linux, so I doubt it's due to scim-bridge.
Comment 7 Jens Petersen 2008-08-04 03:44:18 EDT
And what does "/usr/libexec/xinput.sh" output?

You might be hitting some XIM issue with imsettings perhaps.

Any reason not to use scim-bridge-gtk?
Comment 8 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-04 03:52:37 EDT
I re-installed scim-bridge, and returned to default locale "en_US.utf8", still no luck.
Comment 9 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-04 04:01:32 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> And what does "/usr/libexec/xinput.sh" output?
bash: /usr/libexec/xinput.sh: No such file or directory

> You might be hitting some XIM issue with imsettings perhaps.
I have the same feeling too.
 
> Any reason not to use scim-bridge-gtk?
As far as I know, scim-bridge-gtk is for improving compatibility of scim, since almost all applications in F9 are compiled with gcc 4, so I think that's not a problem anymore, in fact I don't meet any issues with scim alone. Don't like before that realplayer and binary nightly build firefox from mozilla won't start with scim, but situation has been changed, both work great with scim. I don't use Adobe Reader so I don't know, above three applications could be the main reason that scim-bridge occurs.
Comment 10 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-04 04:12:46 EDT
I found only 50-xinput.sh on my system, here is the output by executing it:
[root@localhost ganlu]# /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-xinput.sh 
Failed to get a session bus.
[root@localhost ganlu]# 
(imsettings-xim:5934): IMSettings-CRITICAL **: imsettings_request_new: assertion `connection != NULL' failed

(imsettings-xim:5934): IMSettings-CRITICAL **: imsettings_request_set_locale: assertion `IMSETTINGS_IS_REQUEST (imsettings)' failed

(imsettings-xim:5934): IMSettings-CRITICAL **: imsettings_request_get_current_user_im: assertion `IMSETTINGS_IS_REQUEST (imsettings)' failed
No default IM is available.
Comment 11 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-04 04:29:48 EDT
One more, 
[ganlu@localhost ~]$ /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/50-xinput.sh
Started SCIM
[ganlu@localhost ~]$ 
(imsettings-xim:5751): IMSettings-XIM-WARNING **: XIM Server for IMSettings is already running.
Failed to initialize XIM server.
Comment 12 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-04 04:49:09 EDT
When you got an issue, what does "imsettings-list" display? and how about "imsettings-info SCIM"?
Comment 13 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-04 04:51:45 EDT
also can you see any warnings/errors relates to imsettings in .xsession-errors?
Comment 14 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-04 05:01:22 EDT
(In reply to comment #7)
> And what does "/usr/libexec/xinput.sh" output?
> 
> You might be hitting some XIM issue with imsettings perhaps.

Not really. we have never enabled XIM support on imsettings for F-9 and we don't XIM support enabled on rawhide anymore. even if the desktop session is keeping alive a long time without restarting, this isn't the kind of reproducible issue with restarting the desktop.

What I can say so far is, make sure if imsettings\* packages keeps up to date.
Comment 15 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-04 07:20:47 EDT
1. [ganlu@localhost ~]$ imsettings-list
* 1: SCIM (recommended)

2. [ganlu@localhost ~]$ imsettings-info SCIM
Xinput file: /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.conf
GTK+ immodule: scim-bridge
Qt immodule: xim
XMODIFIERS: @im=SCIM
XIM server: /usr/bin/scim 
preferences: /usr/bin/scim-setup 
auxiliary:  
Short Description: SCIM
Long Description: 
Is system default: TRUE
Is user default: TRUE
Is XIM server: FALSE

3. There is something in .xsession-error about imsetting:
Started SCIM

(imsettings-xim:2703): IMSettings-XIM-WARNING **: No XIM server `SCIM' is running. retrying to find out...

4. [root@localhost ganlu]# rpm -qa imsetting\*|sort
imsettings-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
imsettings-libs-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
[root@localhost ganlu]# rpm -qa im-chooser
im-chooser-1.2.0-1.fc9.i386
Comment 16 Jens Petersen 2008-08-04 19:51:26 EDT
(In reply to comment #9)
> (In reply to comment #7)
> > And what does "/usr/libexec/xinput.sh" output?
> bash: /usr/libexec/xinput.sh: No such file or directory

Sorry I meant "/usr/libexec/xinputinfo.sh".

> As far as I know, scim-bridge-gtk is for improving compatibility of scim, since
> almost all applications in F9 are compiled with gcc 4, so I think that's not a
> problem anymore, in fact I don't meet any issues with scim alone. Don't like
> before that realplayer and binary nightly build firefox from mozilla won't
> start with scim, but situation has been changed, both work great with scim. I
> don't use Adobe Reader so I don't know, above three applications could be the
> main reason that scim-bridge occurs.

True. :)

You could also try with scim-gtk.
Comment 17 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-04 20:02:54 EDT
(In reply to comment #16)
> (In reply to comment #9)
> > (In reply to comment #7)
> > > And what does "/usr/libexec/xinput.sh" output?
> > bash: /usr/libexec/xinput.sh: No such file or directory
> 
> Sorry I meant "/usr/libexec/xinputinfo.sh".
[ganlu@localhost ~]$ /usr/libexec/xinputinfo.sh
AUXILIARY_PROGRAM=
AUXILIARY_ARGS=""
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
ICON=
IMSETTINGS_IGNORE_ME=
LONG_DESC=""
QT_IM_MODULE=xim
PREFERENCE_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim-setup
PREFERENCE_ARGS=""
SHORT_DESC="SCIM"
XIM=SCIM
XIM_PROGRAM=/usr/bin/scim
XIM_ARGS=""

> 
> > As far as I know, scim-bridge-gtk is for improving compatibility of scim, since
> > almost all applications in F9 are compiled with gcc 4, so I think that's not a
> > problem anymore, in fact I don't meet any issues with scim alone. Don't like
> > before that realplayer and binary nightly build firefox from mozilla won't
> > start with scim, but situation has been changed, both work great with scim. I
> > don't use Adobe Reader so I don't know, above three applications could be the
> > main reason that scim-bridge occurs.
> 
> True. :)
> 
> You could also try with scim-gtk.
I installed it, but unfortunately doesn't solve my problem. :-(
Comment 18 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-06 09:08:29 EDT
What the desktop are you using BTW?

When you started the desktop, I mean when you log into the desktop from gdm say, did you see any error dialogs etc?
Comment 19 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-06 11:29:28 EDT
(In reply to comment #18)
> What the desktop are you using BTW?
Gnome
> 
> When you started the desktop, I mean when you log into the desktop from gdm
> say, did you see any error dialogs etc?
No. I currently work around by setting my locale as:
[ganlu@localhost ~]$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=zh_CN.UTF-8
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
I will try update imsetting and scim from rawhide to see if anything changes.
Comment 20 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-06 11:42:30 EDT
No dice, things still don't work, and only message I got from the terminal is:
[ganlu@localhost ~]$ poedit 

(poedit:22261): Gtk-WARNING **: gtkwidget.c:8547: widget class `GtkPizza' has no property named `row-ending-details'

I am totally at lost.
Comment 21 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-07 08:36:27 EDT
(In reply to comment #19)
> No. I currently work around by setting my locale as:
> [ganlu@localhost ~]$ locale
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER=zh_CN.UTF-8
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
> I will try update imsetting and scim from rawhide to see if anything changes.

Sorry, you mean SCIM does work with the above locale, but not with pure en_US.UTF-8?
Comment 22 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-07 10:38:31 EDT
Yeah, YES, the magic part is "export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8".
Comment 23 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-07 20:33:33 EDT
(In reply to comment #22)
> Yeah, YES, the magic part is "export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8".

I see. to clarify more, when you log in with the pure en_US.UTF-8 locale, you can see the scim icon at the systray, right? but can't activate scim with ctrl+space?

Can you see the IME list when you click the scim icon at the systray? if yes, what happens if you do select one from that menu?
Comment 24 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-07 23:52:28 EDT
(In reply to comment #23)
> (In reply to comment #22)
> > Yeah, YES, the magic part is "export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8".
> 
> I see. to clarify more, when you log in with the pure en_US.UTF-8 locale, you
> can see the scim icon at the systray, right? but can't activate scim with
> ctrl+space?
There is the scim icon staying at the systray under pure en_US.UTF-8(or en_US.utf8 if matters), I can activate scim with other applications (except poedit), and it works well.
> 
> Can you see the IME list when you click the scim icon at the systray? if yes,
> what happens if you do select one from that menu?
Can't if it's poedit, otherwise work well.
Comment 25 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-08 01:42:34 EDT
Tried on F-9 updated with new account to make sure. the packages installed are:

$ rpm -qa | grep -E "(scim|im-chooser|imsettings)" | sort
im-chooser-1.2.0-1.fc9.i386
imsettings-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
imsettings-libs-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
scim-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
scim-anthy-1.2.4-4.fc9.i386
scim-bridge-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
scim-lang-japanese-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
scim-libs-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386

Steps what I did:
1. log into the gnome desktop with new account and "English (United States)" language.
1. run im-chooser and turn on "Enable input method feature" check box.
2. see if the scim icon appears at the systray
3. run poedit and click ok button to close a dialog box appears only the initial time.
4. fill in my info and click ok button
5. open a po file.
6. move a focus to left corner of the box, where would be supposed to appear the translation string.
7. click the scim icon and select "Japanese" to bring up scim-anthy.
8. type something.

I can input Japanese on poedit on even en_US.UTF-8 locale.
Comment 26 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-08 08:01:07 EDT
(In reply to comment #25)
> Tried on F-9 updated with new account to make sure. the packages installed are:
> 
> $ rpm -qa | grep -E "(scim|im-chooser|imsettings)" | sort
> im-chooser-1.2.0-1.fc9.i386
> imsettings-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
> imsettings-libs-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
> scim-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
> scim-anthy-1.2.4-4.fc9.i386
> scim-bridge-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
> scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
> scim-lang-japanese-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
> scim-libs-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
> 
I have almost the same (only I use python-pinyin to input Chinese) :
im-chooser-1.2.0-1.fc9.i386
imsettings-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
imsettings-libs-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
scim-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
scim-bridge-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
scim-libs-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
scim-python-0.1.13rc1-1.fc9.i386
scim-python-pinyin-0.1.13rc1-1.fc9.i386

> Steps what I did:
> 1. log into the gnome desktop with new account and "English (United States)"
> language.
Yes.
> 1. run im-chooser and turn on "Enable input method feature" check box.
Yes.
> 2. see if the scim icon appears at the systray
Yes, it shows.
> 3. run poedit and click ok button to close a dialog box appears only the
> initial time.
> 4. fill in my info and click ok button
> 5. open a po file.
> 6. move a focus to left corner of the box, where would be supposed to appear
> the translation string.
Oh, I do know I have used it for many gnome modules translation, :-)
> 7. click the scim icon and select "Japanese" to bring up scim-anthy.
No reponse from scim icon.
> 8. type something.
So I can't
> 
> I can input Japanese on poedit on even en_US.UTF-8 locale.
Thank you anyway for your patience.
Comment 27 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-08 08:34:48 EDT
(In reply to comment #25)
> Tried on F-9 updated with new account to make sure. the packages installed are:
> 
> $ rpm -qa | grep -E "(scim|im-chooser|imsettings)" | sort
> im-chooser-1.2.0-1.fc9.i386
> imsettings-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
> imsettings-libs-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
> scim-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
> scim-anthy-1.2.4-4.fc9.i386
> scim-bridge-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
> scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
> scim-lang-japanese-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
> scim-libs-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
> 
I have almost the same (only I use python-pinyin to input Chinese) :
im-chooser-1.2.0-1.fc9.i386
imsettings-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
imsettings-libs-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
scim-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
scim-bridge-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
scim-libs-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
scim-python-0.1.13rc1-1.fc9.i386
scim-python-pinyin-0.1.13rc1-1.fc9.i386

> Steps what I did:
> 1. log into the gnome desktop with new account and "English (United States)"
> language.
Yes.
> 1. run im-chooser and turn on "Enable input method feature" check box.
Yes.
> 2. see if the scim icon appears at the systray
Yes, it shows.
> 3. run poedit and click ok button to close a dialog box appears only the
> initial time.
> 4. fill in my info and click ok button
> 5. open a po file.
> 6. move a focus to left corner of the box, where would be supposed to appear
> the translation string.
Oh, I do know I have used it for many gnome modules translation, :-)
> 7. click the scim icon and select "Japanese" to bring up scim-anthy.
No response from scim icon.
> 8. type something.
So I can't
> 
> I can input Japanese on poedit on even en_US.UTF-8 locale.
Thank you anyway for your patience.
Comment 28 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-08 09:14:38 EDT
(In reply to comment #27)
> I have almost the same (only I use python-pinyin to input Chinese) :
> im-chooser-1.2.0-1.fc9.i386
> imsettings-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
> imsettings-libs-0.101.3-2.fc9.i386
> scim-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
> scim-bridge-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
> scim-bridge-gtk-0.4.15-5.fc9.i386
> scim-libs-1.4.7-23.fc9.i386
> scim-python-0.1.13rc1-1.fc9.i386
> scim-python-pinyin-0.1.13rc1-1.fc9.i386

Tried again with the same packages. i.e. installed scim-python and scim-python-pinyin and removed scim-lang-japanese and scim-anthy. that still works for me.
Have you tried new account yet? I'm not sure if any config affects this, but that may worth trying.
Comment 29 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-08 10:04:25 EDT
(In reply to comment #28)
> (In reply to comment #27)

> Tried again with the same packages. i.e. installed scim-python and
> scim-python-pinyin and removed scim-lang-japanese and scim-anthy. that still
> works for me.
> Have you tried new account yet? I'm not sure if any config affects this, but
> that may worth trying.
I am so exciting that it works, BUT just for a moment, I could know how to trigger it though.
1. Open scim-setup, and set hotkey for trigger, saying "Ctrl+Space", apply it (BTW, why there is empty hotkey setting).
2. Try some applications, it (both hotkey and scim) works.
3. Log out and relogin, open poedit
4. Scim refuses to work anymore, you can't use your hotkey, but can still activate scim-python-pinyin by clicking the scim icon at the system tray, however poedit only accepts direct keyboard input.
Comment 30 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-08 10:05:55 EDT
The situation only occurs to poedit, other applications works.
Comment 31 Peng Huang 2008-08-08 23:19:32 EDT
(In reply to comment #30)
> The situation only occurs to poedit, other applications works.

Please try below steps.
 1. gconftool-2 --type bool -s /desktop/gnome/interface/show_input_method_menu true
 2. poedit
 3. mouse right click and input entry to popup context menu
 4. choice scim or scim-bridge input method in `Input Methods` menu.
 5. try scim as other applications.
Comment 32 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-09 00:33:54 EDT
(In reply to comment #31)
> (In reply to comment #30)
> > The situation only occurs to poedit, other applications works.
> 
> Please try below steps.
>  1. gconftool-2 --type bool -s /desktop/gnome/interface/show_input_method_menu
> true
>  2. poedit
>  3. mouse right click and input entry to popup context menu
>  4. choice scim or scim-bridge input method in `Input Methods` menu.
>  5. try scim as other applications.
Scim can work with poedit this way, but which is not what I expect. I hope I can use my hot key to trigger scim like applications.
Comment 33 Peng Huang 2008-08-09 01:24:47 EDT
(In reply to comment #32)
> (In reply to comment #31)
> > (In reply to comment #30)
> >  4. choice scim or scim-bridge input method in `Input Methods` menu.
> >  5. try scim as other applications.
> Scim can work with poedit this way, but which is not what I expect. I hope I
> can use my hot key to trigger scim like applications.

You mean except the hot key, every thing is OK. Right?
Comment 34 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-09 04:40:44 EDT
(In reply to comment #33)
> (In reply to comment #32)
> > (In reply to comment #31)
> > > (In reply to comment #30)
> > >  4. choice scim or scim-bridge input method in `Input Methods` menu.
> > >  5. try scim as other applications.
> > Scim can work with poedit this way, but which is not what I expect. I hope I
> > can use my hot key to trigger scim like applications.
> 
> You mean except the hot key, every thing is OK. Right?
No, my problem is I can't use scim with poedit unless two ways:
1. Use above way
2. Or change my locale
Which is very strange and annoying since almost all other applications works with hot key.

To be clarified, my problem is:
1. I can't use hot key to trigger scim even it(hot key) works perfectly with other applications.
2. I can't use scim even if I can trigger scim by clicking the icon at the system tray. Under this situation, poedit seems to accept only direct keyboard input.
Comment 35 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-09 04:53:31 EDT
(In reply to comment #32)
> (In reply to comment #31)
> > (In reply to comment #30)
> > > The situation only occurs to poedit, other applications works.
> > 
> > Please try below steps.
> >  1. gconftool-2 --type bool -s /desktop/gnome/interface/show_input_method_menu
> > true
> >  2. poedit
> >  3. mouse right click and input entry to popup context menu
> >  4. choice scim or scim-bridge input method in `Input Methods` menu.
> >  5. try scim as other applications.
> Scim can work with poedit this way, but which is not what I expect. I hope I
> can use my hot key to trigger scim like applications.
More infomation: after choose scim-bridge from "Input Methods" menu, hot key works, and I still need this hot key to trigger scim.
Comment 36 Peng Huang 2008-08-09 10:13:35 EDT
Please use bellow command to check gconf value and give command 'export' output to me. thanks.
gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
Comment 37 Peng Huang 2008-08-09 10:20:27 EDT
Please provide output of command `ldd poedit`.
The problem seems that poedit does not choice right gtk im module. But this problem doesn't happen in my box, I guess if you build poedit or wxGTK by self, you did not install them from fedora repo via yum.
Comment 38 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-09 11:29:49 EDT
(In reply to comment #36)
> Please use bellow command to check gconf value and give command 'export' output
> to me. thanks.
> gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
[ganlu@localhost ~]$ gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
xim
Comment 39 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-09 11:32:53 EDT
(In reply to comment #37)
> Please provide output of command `ldd poedit`.
> The problem seems that poedit does not choice right gtk im module. But this
> problem doesn't happen in my box, I guess if you build poedit or wxGTK by self,
> you did not install them from fedora repo via yum.
I use offiial fedora (9) package via yum, there is ldd output:
[root@localhost ganlu]# ldd /usr/bin/poedit 
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00110000)
	libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.8.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.8.so.0 (0x00275000)
	libwx_gtk2u_html-2.8.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_html-2.8.so.0 (0x0036c000)
	libwx_baseu_xml-2.8.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-2.8.so.0 (0x00269000)
	libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8.so.0 (0x00625000)
	libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0 (0x02000000)
	libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0 (0x004c9000)
	libgtkspell.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtkspell.so.0 (0x00442000)
	libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x05c24000)
	libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0x060ac000)
	libatk-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0 (0x05bf9000)
	libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (0x05b55000)
	libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0 (0x0602f000)
	libpango-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0 (0x06067000)
	libcairo.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2 (0x05b7d000)
	libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0x00db0000)
	libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0x00207000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00d2f000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00111000)
	libdb-4.6.so => /lib/libdb-4.6.so (0x06667000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x0632a000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x00d36000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x062f5000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00d7f000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x057d2000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x00d9a000)
	libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 (0x065b0000)
	libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0x00262000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x00256000)
	libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 (0x0617e000)
	libgconf-2.so.4 => /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4 (0x00490000)
	libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0 (0x007e4000)
	libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXinerama.so.1 (0x0022a000)
	libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x062eb000)
	libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 (0x05b2b000)
	libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 (0x06305000)
	libtiff.so.3 => /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 (0x00c42000)
	libexpat.so.1 => /lib/libexpat.so.1 (0x05a40000)
	libSDL-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (0x00a5b000)
	libenchant.so.1 => /usr/lib/libenchant.so.1 (0x00436000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x0593d000)
	libXcomposite.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcomposite.so.1 (0x06144000)
	libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/libXfixes.so.3 (0x0022f000)
	libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x05afa000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x0020d000)
	libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0x0021f000)
	libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXi.so.6 (0x05bee000)
	libXrandr.so.2 => /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2 (0x05b74000)
	libXcursor.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcursor.so.1 (0x05c18000)
	libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0 (0x0603b000)
	libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x05a69000)
	libpixman-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0 (0x06149000)
	libselinux.so.1 => /lib/libselinux.so.1 (0x00d61000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00236000)
	libORBit-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so.0 (0x00310000)
	libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x062cf000)
	libuuid.so.1 => /lib/libuuid.so.1 (0x06178000)
	libxcb-xlib.so.0 => /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 (0x00203000)
	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1 (0x00407000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0x00dfa000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00df2000)
Comment 40 Peng Huang 2008-08-09 20:29:59 EDT
(In reply to comment #38)
> (In reply to comment #36)
> > Please use bellow command to check gconf value and give command 'export' output
> > to me. thanks.
> > gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
> [ganlu@localhost ~]$ gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
> xim
Did you use im-chooser to enable SCIM? If you did, the output should be scim or scim-bridge. Please use im-chooser select SCIM and try this command again.
Comment 41 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-09 21:31:50 EDT
(In reply to comment #40)
> (In reply to comment #38)
> > (In reply to comment #36)
> > > Please use bellow command to check gconf value and give command 'export' output
> > > to me. thanks.
> > > gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
> > [ganlu@localhost ~]$ gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
> > xim
> Did you use im-chooser to enable SCIM? If you did, the output should be scim or
> scim-bridge. Please use im-chooser select SCIM and try this command again.
I do use im-chooser to enable SCIM, but this (xim) is exactly what I get by running command "gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module". So what's wrong?
Comment 42 Peng Huang 2008-08-10 00:13:35 EDT
Hi tagoh-san,
Do you have any idea about this problem? Why /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module is xim after using im-chooser enable SCIM?

(In reply to comment #41)
> (In reply to comment #40)
> > (In reply to comment #38)
> > > (In reply to comment #36)
> > > > Please use bellow command to check gconf value and give command 'export' output
> > > > to me. thanks.
> > > > gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
> > > [ganlu@localhost ~]$ gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module
> > > xim
> > Did you use im-chooser to enable SCIM? If you did, the output should be scim or
> > scim-bridge. Please use im-chooser select SCIM and try this command again.
> I do use im-chooser to enable SCIM, but this (xim) is exactly what I get by
> running command "gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module". So
> what's wrong?
Comment 43 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-10 20:42:09 EDT
(In reply to comment #29)
> I am so exciting that it works, BUT just for a moment, I could know how to
> trigger it though.
> 1. Open scim-setup, and set hotkey for trigger, saying "Ctrl+Space", apply it
> (BTW, why there is empty hotkey setting).
> 2. Try some applications, it (both hotkey and scim) works.
> 3. Log out and relogin, open poedit
> 4. Scim refuses to work anymore, you can't use your hotkey, but can still
> activate scim-python-pinyin by clicking the scim icon at the system tray,
> however poedit only accepts direct keyboard input.

Hmm, the above steps still works for me, even if I run poedit with GTK_IM_MODULE=xim. I need more information to investigate further. can you give us:

1. the whole log file of .xsession-errors on new account, when you can reproduce that
2. the result of "stat ~/.xinputrc"
3. the result of "md5sum /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.conf"
4. the result of "strace -f poedit > strace.log 2>&1" with some operations, including hitting your trigger keys

(In reply to comment #42)
> Hi tagoh-san,
> Do you have any idea about this problem? Why
> /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module is xim after using im-chooser enable
> SCIM?

imsettings doesn't do more extra work than each xinput script expects. why that set xim is you and Jens should knows well than me. AFAICT it is only bringing up the multilib issue. however I have never seen the word 'x86_64' in this report. and as he had already given us, GTK_IM_MODULE should points to scim-bridge. if he didn't do anything else. this result really looks weird to me.
I hope the strace log may has some idea.
Comment 44 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-11 01:13:55 EDT
Created attachment 313909 [details]
.xsession-errors
Comment 45 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-11 01:24:33 EDT
Created attachment 313910 [details]
strace -f poedit > strace.log 2>&1
Comment 46 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-11 01:25:47 EDT
[gl@localhost ~]$ stat ~/.xinputrc 
  File: `/home/gl/.xinputrc' -> `/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.conf'
  Size: 33        	Blocks: 0          IO Block: 4096   symbolic link
Device: fd00h/64768d	Inode: 141353      Links: 1
Access: (0777/lrwxrwxrwx)  Uid: (  500/      gl)   Gid: (  500/      gl)
Access: 2008-08-11 20:19:42.000000000 +0800
Modify: 2008-08-11 20:19:41.000000000 +0800
Change: 2008-08-11 20:19:41.000000000 +0800
[gl@localhost ~]$ md5sum /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.conf 
186392d8d769e1d7bf27b85409f56196  /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.conf

Hope these are of a little help, thanks.
Comment 47 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-11 01:50:25 EDT
I'm not quite sure why that happened but apparently there seems to be dead processes of scim* not responding anymore. better logging out and killing all of scim* processes from vt (with pressing Alt+Ctrl+F1 and login say) once, then try again.
Comment 48 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-11 03:02:32 EDT
(In reply to comment #47)
> I'm not quite sure why that happened but apparently there seems to be dead
> processes of scim* not responding anymore. better logging out and killing all
> of scim* processes from vt (with pressing Alt+Ctrl+F1 and login say) once, then
> try again.
If I log out, there is no any scim processes in vitual terminal(by commanding "ps ax | grep scim" shows nothing). If I switch to another vt(by pressing Alt+Ctrl+F1)  when I am logged in, and kill all scim* processes, return to gnome (by pressing Alt+F7), I have to use im-chooser to enable scim again, and poedit runs into the same problem.
Any possiblity it's related to poedit or wxgtk?
Comment 49 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-11 05:36:26 EDT
(In reply to comment #48)
> If I log out, there is no any scim processes in vitual terminal(by commanding
> "ps ax | grep scim" shows nothing). If I switch to another vt(by pressing
> Alt+Ctrl+F1)  when I am logged in, and kill all scim* processes, return to
> gnome (by pressing Alt+F7), I have to use im-chooser to enable scim again, and
> poedit runs into the same problem.
> Any possiblity it's related to poedit or wxgtk?

Not really. I can't reproduce that here.
Okay, please try this to get more information:

1. turn off IM with im-chooser.
2. restart the desktop
3. make sure if no scim processes is running
4. run "/usr/libexec/im-settings-daemon --replace" on the terminal 1.
5. run "/usr/libexec/im-info-daemon --replace" on the terminal 2.
6. run "imsettings-info SCIM"
7. run "imsettings-start -n SCIM".
8. check if /usr/libexec/gconf-im-settings-daemon is running
9. run "gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module"

Expected result:
the result of 9. should be same to "imsettings-info SCIM | grep GTK". and if no particular errors, scim should works with poedit.

Then:

1. turn on IM with im-chooser.
2. restart the desktop
3. check if /usr/libexec/gconf-im-settings-daemon is running
4. run "gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module"
5. see "echo $GTK_IM_MODULE" and "echo $XMODIFIERS"

Expected result:
the result of 4. should be same the above test case. and $GTK_IM_MODULE should be empty. and $XMODIFIERS should be same to "imsettings-info SCIM | grep XMODIFIERS".
Comment 50 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-11 06:06:08 EDT
(In reply to comment #49)
> (In reply to comment #48)
> > If I log out, there is no any scim processes in vitual terminal(by commanding
> > "ps ax | grep scim" shows nothing). If I switch to another vt(by pressing
> > Alt+Ctrl+F1)  when I am logged in, and kill all scim* processes, return to
> > gnome (by pressing Alt+F7), I have to use im-chooser to enable scim again, and
> > poedit runs into the same problem.
> > Any possiblity it's related to poedit or wxgtk?
> 
> Not really. I can't reproduce that here.
> Okay, please try this to get more information:
> 
> 1. turn off IM with im-chooser.
> 2. restart the desktop
> 3. make sure if no scim processes is running
> 4. run "/usr/libexec/im-settings-daemon --replace" on the terminal 1.
> 5. run "/usr/libexec/im-info-daemon --replace" on the terminal 2.
> 6. run "imsettings-info SCIM"
> 7. run "imsettings-start -n SCIM".
Done the above, and make sure every step is OK.
> 8. check if /usr/libexec/gconf-im-settings-daemon is running
Yes.
> 9. run "gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module"
scim-bridge, I may know why before it's xim. I re-install the Fedora9 (through gnome livecd), and run im-chooser as zh_CN.utf8 firstly (I run im-chooser as en_US.utf8 firstly when last time I install f9), then it's scim-bridge.
> 
> Expected result:
> the result of 9. should be same to "imsettings-info SCIM | grep GTK". and if no
> particular errors, scim should works with poedit.
No errors, but no dice, scim still refuses to work with poedit.
> 
> Then:
> 
> 1. turn on IM with im-chooser.
> 2. restart the desktop
> 3. check if /usr/libexec/gconf-im-settings-daemon is running
> 4. run "gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk-im-module"
> 5. see "echo $GTK_IM_MODULE" and "echo $XMODIFIERS"
> 
> Expected result:
> the result of 4. should be same the above test case. and $GTK_IM_MODULE should
> be empty. and $XMODIFIERS should be same to "imsettings-info SCIM | grep
> XMODIFIERS".
I am hopeless, results are the same as you expected, but ... 
Thank you anyway.
Comment 51 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-11 06:53:58 EDT
(In reply to comment #50)
> No errors, but no dice, scim still refuses to work with poedit.
...
> I am hopeless, results are the same as you expected, but ... 
> Thank you anyway.

Well, possible idea is, because no gnome-settings-daemon is running or something goes wrong with it. there are two way to check if gnome-settings-daemon a.k.a. XSETTINGS manager works properly:

a. whether you saw the dialog like "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon...". if yes, it's highly likely not working properly.
b. check if other XSETTINGS manager like xfce-mcs-manager and xsettings-kde, or im-xsettings-daemon in imsettings package in rawhide. if gnome-settings-daemon is working properly, that should fails to run those processes at least, because only one XSETTINGS manager can be ran on the screen.

I suppose running poedit with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim or scim-bridge explicitly should works, then I have no other idea so far why that doesn't work.

HTH,
Comment 52 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-11 08:08:35 EDT
(In reply to comment #51)
> (In reply to comment #50)
> > No errors, but no dice, scim still refuses to work with poedit.
> ...
> > I am hopeless, results are the same as you expected, but ... 
> > Thank you anyway.
> 
> Well, possible idea is, because no gnome-settings-daemon is running or
> something goes wrong with it. there are two way to check if
> gnome-settings-daemon a.k.a. XSETTINGS manager works properly:
But only poedit so far doesn't work with scim. However, it works well with scim when I choose explicitly scim from menu. Enve if it's that XSETTING manager doesn't function properly, it's caused by running poedit.
> 
> a. whether you saw the dialog like "There was an error starting the GNOME
> Settings Daemon...". if yes, it's highly likely not working properly.
No such error only thing I notice could be related to gnome setting daemon is GDM doesn't respect changed default cursor theme(seems hard-coded to BlueCurve theme).
> b. check if other XSETTINGS manager like xfce-mcs-manager and xsettings-kde, or
> im-xsettings-daemon in imsettings package in rawhide. if gnome-settings-daemon
> is working properly, that should fails to run those processes at least, because
> only one XSETTINGS manager can be ran on the screen.
Not sure I understand what you said. Do you mean I could install such setting manager from rawhide, and run anyone of these when gnome-setting-daemon is running?
> 
> I suppose running poedit with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim or scim-bridge explicitly
> should works, then I have no other idea so far why that doesn't work.
If you mean to run poedit with "GTK_IM_MODULE=scim poedit", which doesn't work neither.
> 
> HTH,
Comment 53 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-11 10:31:31 EDT
(In reply to comment #52)
> But only poedit so far doesn't work with scim. However, it works well with scim
> when I choose explicitly scim from menu. Enve if it's that XSETTING manager
> doesn't function properly, it's caused by running poedit.

Yes, because selecting immodules from the menu explicitly doesn't pick anything up from XSETTINGS manager.

> > b. check if other XSETTINGS manager like xfce-mcs-manager and xsettings-kde, or
> > im-xsettings-daemon in imsettings package in rawhide. if gnome-settings-daemon
> > is working properly, that should fails to run those processes at least, because
> > only one XSETTINGS manager can be ran on the screen.
> Not sure I understand what you said. Do you mean I could install such setting
> manager from rawhide, and run anyone of these when gnome-setting-daemon is
> running?

xfce-mcs-manager and xsettings-kde is also available with the same package name on F-9. and try running one of them to check if gnome-settings-daemon is working. you may see "another xsettings manager is already running" or something like that. that's good then.

> > I suppose running poedit with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim or scim-bridge explicitly
> > should works, then I have no other idea so far why that doesn't work.
> If you mean to run poedit with "GTK_IM_MODULE=scim poedit", which doesn't work
> neither.

Really? even if you do run GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge poedit or GTK_IM_MODULE=scim poedit, you can't still input Chinese with scim? and selecting IME from the systray also not working?

Technically there are no difference between bringing up the application with GTK_IM_MODULE envvar and selecting immodule from the menu though.

> > 
> > HTH,
Comment 54 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-12 06:12:31 EDT
(In reply to comment #53)
> (In reply to comment #52)
> > But only poedit so far doesn't work with scim. However, it works well with scim
> > when I choose explicitly scim from menu. Enve if it's that XSETTING manager
> > doesn't function properly, it's caused by running poedit.
> 
> Yes, because selecting immodules from the menu explicitly doesn't pick anything
> up from XSETTINGS manager.
> 
> > > b. check if other XSETTINGS manager like xfce-mcs-manager and xsettings-kde, or
> > > im-xsettings-daemon in imsettings package in rawhide. if gnome-settings-daemon
> > > is working properly, that should fails to run those processes at least, because
> > > only one XSETTINGS manager can be ran on the screen.
> > Not sure I understand what you said. Do you mean I could install such setting
> > manager from rawhide, and run anyone of these when gnome-setting-daemon is
> > running?
> 
> xfce-mcs-manager and xsettings-kde is also available with the same package name
> on F-9. and try running one of them to check if gnome-settings-daemon is
> working. you may see "another xsettings manager is already running" or
> something like that. that's good then.
Try later.
> 
> > > I suppose running poedit with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim or scim-bridge explicitly
> > > should works, then I have no other idea so far why that doesn't work.
> > If you mean to run poedit with "GTK_IM_MODULE=scim poedit", which doesn't work
> > neither.
> 
> Really? even if you do run GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge poedit or
> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim poedit, you can't still input Chinese with scim? and
> selecting IME from the systray also not working?
Yes. 
> 
> Technically there are no difference between bringing up the application with
> GTK_IM_MODULE envvar and selecting immodule from the menu though.
That's why I suspect somewhere is wrong.

> 
> > > 
> > > HTH,
Comment 55 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-12 08:14:53 EDT
(In reply to comment #54)
> > Really? even if you do run GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge poedit or
> > GTK_IM_MODULE=scim poedit, you can't still input Chinese with scim? and
> > selecting IME from the systray also not working?
> Yes. 
> > 
> > Technically there are no difference between bringing up the application with
> > GTK_IM_MODULE envvar and selecting immodule from the menu though.
> That's why I suspect somewhere is wrong.

That may be the root cause of this problem. I guess the previous backtrace log was without GTK_IM_MODULE right? then the log with GTK_IM_MODULE might give us any clue.
Comment 56 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-12 10:49:49 EDT
Created attachment 314100 [details]
strace log for a successful experience

Wired I just experience one time that poedit successfully worked with scim when you suggest I run strace with "GTK_IM_MODULE=scim". I firstly run it with "strace -f GTK_IM_MODULE=scim poedit > strace.log 2>&1" (I don't know if it's the right way), but nothing happens, then I re-run it with "strace -f poedit > strace.log 2>&1", what a luck, hot key works and everything seems to work and I have a strace log too.
Comment 57 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-12 10:52:55 EDT
Damn it, the problem comes again without any trace, not even I try again the same as the last time.
Comment 58 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-12 10:55:56 EDT
(In reply to comment #57)
> Damn it, the problem comes again without any trace, not even I try again the
> same as the last time.
I just installed amule, the same problem occurs, I still suspect anything wrong with wxgtk, which may cause incompatible issue with scim or scim-bridge.
Comment 59 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-14 08:12:52 EDT
(In reply to comment #57)
> Damn it, the problem comes again without any trace, not even I try again the
> same as the last time.

I'm confused. so you're saying scim doesn't work on poedit:

a. without any envvar.
b. even with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim and GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
c. with strace, but without any envvar.

but works:

d. if scim is being brought up from im-chooser but not work after restarting the desktop.
e. with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim strace

right? and the above thing is reproducible? I mean you said "the problem again" at Comment #57, if you do one of the above two case (particularly case e), which scim worked, does scim works again?
Comment 60 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-08-14 09:36:55 EDT
(In reply to comment #59)
> (In reply to comment #57)
> > Damn it, the problem comes again without any trace, not even I try again the
> > same as the last time.
> 
> I'm confused. so you're saying scim doesn't work on poedit:
> 
> a. without any envvar.
> b. even with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim and GTK_IM_MODULE=scim-bridge
> c. with strace, but without any envvar.

> 
> but works:
> 
> d. if scim is being brought up from im-chooser but not work after restarting
> the desktop.
> e. with GTK_IM_MODULE=scim strace
> 
> right? and the above thing is reproducible? I mean you said "the problem again"
> at Comment #57, if you do one of the above two case (particularly case e),
> which scim worked, does scim works again?
No, I don't know why the last time it works when I run "strace -f poedit > strace.log 2>&1" after "strace -f poedit >
strace.log 2>&1" (The only guess is that I just installed aMule), and I can't reproduce it again (I mean to make scim work with poedit again), that is why I feel headache. You mentioned in my strace.log there is scim dead process, I wonder what may cause it, which may be the reason why poedit can't trigger scim on my system.
Comment 61 Akira TAGOH 2008-08-15 05:48:08 EDT
(In reply to comment #60)
> No, I don't know why the last time it works when I run "strace -f poedit >
> strace.log 2>&1" after "strace -f poedit >
> strace.log 2>&1" (The only guess is that I just installed aMule), and I can't
> reproduce it again (I mean to make scim work with poedit again), that is why I
> feel headache. You mentioned in my strace.log there is scim dead process, I
> wonder what may cause it, which may be the reason why poedit can't trigger scim
> on my system.

So please attach the strace log again with "GTK_IM_MODULE=scim strace -f poedit > strace.log 2>&1" again. the log working as expected doesn't help.
Comment 62 Tony Fu 2008-09-09 23:10:51 EDT
requested by Jens Petersen (#27995)
Comment 63 Jens Petersen 2008-10-27 03:06:55 EDT
Does scim-1.4.7-24.fc9 help with this?

Could you answer the (indirect) question about which arch you are using?
Comment 64 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-10-27 20:44:17 EDT
Oh, sorry first, since I have change my locale to deal with this problem, I didn't notice there is a update, but anyway it WORKS now, thank you all very much. 
BTW, I am under i386 arch.
Comment 65 Jens Petersen 2008-10-27 21:17:11 EDT
> since I have changed my locale to deal with this problem, [...] but anyway it WORKS now

But not in your original locale settings?
Comment 66 甘露(Gan Lu) 2008-10-27 23:39:49 EDT
It works now under en_US.utf9 locale. Before that, it (I mean SCIM and poedit) only works under zh_CN.utf8 locale.
Comment 67 Jens Petersen 2008-10-28 02:33:25 EDT
Okay, I am still not completely sure what the original problem was - sounds like various concurring factors, but closing this for now.  Please re-open if there is any re-occurence.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.