Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 458458
Booting kernel dies when running installation DVD for rawhide under VritualBox
Last modified: 2008-09-14 15:57:00 EDT
Description of problem:
After the initial kernel compress the rawhide DVD gets to some lines starting with "ACPI" before crashing with a kernel dump and the final line:
Kernel - panic : not syncing : Fatal exception in interrupt
9 out of 10 attempts so far
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Start virtual box on a FC9 installation
2. Create a new VM
3. Mount the rawhide iso as a cd\dvd and start the VM
4. Elect to "install or upgrade an existing system"
5. Observe the brief pause at the "SMP Alternatives - *" line
6. Get to some lines refering to ACPI and then observe the kernel crash
Kernel crashes on start up, forcing hard reset of the machine
Kernel uncompresses and proceeds to the anaconda graphical installer
Unsure whether this is related to working under VirtualBox or whether the crash can be observed under native hardware.
Latest release of VirtualBox (2.0.2) fixes this problem.