Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 458822
Network Manager does not save custom DNS settings
Last modified: 2008-11-02 17:20:52 EST
Description of problem:
Network manager does not save custom DNS settings - just drops them without any warning.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
NetworkManager Applet 0.7.0
Steps to Reproduce:
1. open an existing wireless connection / create a new connection
2. on the IPv4 Settings page do:
* Method: Manual or Automatic with manual DNS settings
* Addresses: Address: 192.168.0.23 Prefix: 24 Gateway: 192.168.0.1
* DNS Servers: 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
3. Press 'OK' button
4. Select your connection and click “edit” button on the side
everything is set as request but DNS Servers, field remains empty
Network Manager remembers manual DNS settings
It used to work, I've set up another connection couple of months ago and it remembered manual DNS Settings, this time it does not work, even after a computer restart. It is a really bad user experience - I just flew in to Spain and wanted to use internet, Network Manager does not allow me to do so - I had to write a simple cron job which overwrites /etc/resolv.conf every couple of minutes with correct DNS settings.
Should be fixed in latest updates (svn4022 and later).