Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 460485
Disabling LVDS causes no further display scans
Last modified: 2009-12-18 01:20:33 EST
Description of problem:
ThinkPad T41 with external VGA attached display.
When disabling LVDS output in xorg.conf it causes Xorg startup to fail with the error that no screens where found.
Basically when it encounters the Option "Ignore" "True" option for the LVDS display it skips scanning the other display ports.
Adding a VGA monitor section with modelines does not help
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Connect external monitor to ThinkPad T41
2. Add Option "Ignore" "True" to LVDS monitor section in xorg.conf
failure to start Xorg
scan of attached display on VGA port and successful Xorg start
The reason I am trying to disable the internal (LVDS) display is because I want to make the external display the primary because of XV overlay (internal display will not be used anyway as the lid will be closed). And the only other way I found is to run "xvattr -a XV_CRTC -v 1" after starting the X server.
Created attachment 315198 [details]
failing xorg log
Created attachment 315199 [details]
xorg log with LVDS enabled
You should look at option "disable" and option "enable"
ignore is not the droid you are looking for.
Created attachment 315201 [details]
Interesting... I tried option "Disable" "True" for LVDS and got a message in the log file: "(II) RADEON(0): Output LVDS disabled by config file" so that seems like it works... However it does not! the LVDS display is still enabled and shows the X display.
I got the ignore option from:
OK, I found that it is not LVDS specific, specifying Option "Disable" "True" in for instance the s-video monitor section causes Xorg to fail the same way as when it was only specified for LVDS.
So, the problem description should instead read;
Specifying Option "Disable" "True" in any monitor section (LVDS, S-Video, etc) while other valid monitors are available causes an Xorg startup failure with that no screens are available.
the last tests where done with todays rawhide updates;
This bug appears to have been reported against 'rawhide' during the Fedora 10 development cycle.
Changing version to '10'.
More information and reason for this action is here:
This message is a reminder that Fedora 10 is nearing its end of life.
Approximately 30 (thirty) days from now Fedora will stop maintaining
and issuing updates for Fedora 10. It is Fedora's policy to close all
bug reports from releases that are no longer maintained. At that time
this bug will be closed as WONTFIX if it remains open with a Fedora
'version' of '10'.
Package Maintainer: If you wish for this bug to remain open because you
plan to fix it in a currently maintained version, simply change the 'version'
to a later Fedora version prior to Fedora 10's end of life.
Bug Reporter: Thank you for reporting this issue and we are sorry that
we may not be able to fix it before Fedora 10 is end of life. If you
would still like to see this bug fixed and are able to reproduce it
against a later version of Fedora please change the 'version' of this
bug to the applicable version. If you are unable to change the version,
please add a comment here and someone will do it for you.
Although we aim to fix as many bugs as possible during every release's
lifetime, sometimes those efforts are overtaken by events. Often a
more recent Fedora release includes newer upstream software that fixes
bugs or makes them obsolete.
The process we are following is described here:
Fedora 10 changed to end-of-life (EOL) status on 2009-12-17. Fedora 10 is
no longer maintained, which means that it will not receive any further
security or bug fix updates. As a result we are closing this bug.
If you can reproduce this bug against a currently maintained version of
Fedora please feel free to reopen this bug against that version.
Thank you for reporting this bug and we are sorry it could not be fixed.