Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 461727
Radeon R430 broken experience (modesetting, X)
Last modified: 2018-04-11 15:34:27 EDT
Created attachment 316291 [details]
Xorg log including crash backtrace
Description of problem:
- Using kernel modesetting, the kernel oopses (see attached crash_dmesg.txt)
- 2D in X is unusably slow, no matter if compositing is used or not
- Trying to enable compiz leads to an X server crash (see attached Xorg.0.log.old)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Rawhide as of 09/10/08
Created attachment 316292 [details]
dmesg output of modesetting oops
contains a kernel with a test patch against the nvidia agp driver please see if it lets modesetting start if not attach the dmesg from it please.
(In reply to comment #2)
> contains a kernel with a test patch against the nvidia agp driver please see if
> it lets modesetting start if not attach the dmesg from it please.
- No kernel oops anymore.
- As soon as the radeon module is initialized, the monitor attached to the DVI port doesn't get any signal anymore.
Created attachment 316667 [details]
dmesg output with kernel from comment #2
As of today's Rawhide (kernel 2.6.27-0.352.rc7.git1.fc10.i686, drv-ati 6.9.0-14.fc10.i386)
- X has somewhat reasonable speed
- kernel modesetting makes the screen go blank, but bootup continues
ATOM BIOS: RADEON X800XL
[drm] Detected VRAM RAM=262144K, accessible=262144K, BAR=262144K
[drm:drm_agp_bind_ttm] *ERROR* AGP Bind memory failed
[drm:drm_ttm_bind] *ERROR* Couldn't bind backend.
[drm:drm_buffer_object_validate] *ERROR* Failed moving buffer.
[drm:radeon_alloc_gart_objects] *ERROR* failed to allocate ring - most likely an AGP driver bug
Update for today's rawhide (kernel .391, drv-ati -21):
- Modesetting works fine
- When modesetting is used, X is broken - it shows a random gibberish background with a mouse cursor which can be moved for a short time and then hangs completely)
- VT change is not possible at this point
- X works just fine without kernel modesetting
Will attach current dmesg and Xorg.0.log
Created attachment 319560 [details]
Created attachment 319561 [details]
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 464896 ***