Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 462206
RFE: please support "check" and "cross" characters in PDF
Last modified: 2015-01-04 17:35:34 EST
Created attachment 316679 [details]
results from make html and make pdf
Description of problem:
"✓" and "✗" appear as squares in PDF builds. Works in HTML.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.2 (Tikanga)
* Firefox 3.0.1 (from <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/>)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Use "✓" and "✗" in a document.
2. make html-en-US; make pdf-en-US
* check and cross characters appear in HTML build.
* squares where check and cross characters should be in PDF build.
See results.tar.gz for HTML and PDF output images.
* check and cross characters in PDF, please.
* issue is not brand-dependent.
* occurs when used in and out of tables.
* the HTML and HTML-single outputs from a document with "✓" and "✗" are XHTML 1.0 Strict according to <http://validator.w3.org/>.
Any updates on whether this is possible, and if it is, when to expect check and cross to be supported in PDF?
The check and cross entities are not in the liberation fonts. Since FOP can not do per glyph font selection the PDF can not fall back to another font like the HTML renderers can.
It may be possible to use a tag or attribute specifically to override the font used, however this would be messy so you'd need to get some community consensus on how that would be done.
It may be easier to get the liberation maintainers to add these glyphs to the font :)
This is not a bug in publican and should be fixed in either the font or FOP. Please open a bug against either of those components if you feel it's required.