Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 466490
A non-offline IRC accounts in Pidgin stops SCIM
Last modified: 2008-11-23 14:59:52 EST
Description of problem:
I use Pidgin. I like to type Chinese to my friends using the SCIM input method editor software. Recently SCIM stopped working inside of Pidgin (but it still works fine in every other app). I have tracked this problem down to having a non-offline IRC account. When an IRC account is online, it's not possible to turn SCIM on.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Note: [[x]] refers to attached screenshots.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Ensure .purple directory is removed, therefore no pre-existing accounts, accelerators, preferences or contacts.
2. Start pidgin.
3. Press Ctrl-L. In the "View User Log" dialog, press the SCIM activation key combo (for me it's Ctrl-Space), then try typing Chinese. Verify that Chinese works. [[pic 1]]
4. Add an IRC account. (I added one to irc.freenode.net) [[pic 2]]
5. Restart Pidgin.
6. Using ^L again, verify in the "View User Log" dialog that SCIM **cannot** be activated. After pressing the SCIM key combo, only English can be typed. [[pic 3]]
7. Change Pidgin status to offline, or disable the IRC account.
8. Restart Pidgin.
9. Using ^L again, verify in the "View User Log" dialog that SCIM **can** be activated even when IRC account is there, as long as IRC is offline. [[pic 4]]
This problem (SCIM can't be activated) happens in all Pidgin dialogs and all conversation windows, regardless of conversation protocol.
The selected encoding of the IRC account is "UTF-8" (sounds correct to me). Haven't tried anything else.
Please see screenshots for more information.
Created attachment 320021 [details]
Created attachment 320022 [details]
Created attachment 320023 [details]
Created attachment 320024 [details]
Adding eng-i18n-bugs, since they know SCIM a lot better than me.
i confirm this bug. it is very bad.
When talking to friends, everything I type has to go into a gedit window, then copy and paste into Pidgin! You have no idea of how annoying this bug is!
Please Fedora guys! Three weeks and no feedback!
Anything I can do to help?
my solution for now is simply disabling irc accounts in pidgin and use x-chat for irc.
actually, this is a bug in fedora 8, 9 and 10. in fedora 7 i didn't encounter it.
it is not a bug of pidgin itself, since i also used recent versions of ubuntu (7.10, 8.04, 8.10) with recent versions of pidgin (2.4.x, 2.5.x) without the problem.
it is a bug about how fedora 8/9/10 compiles, packages and configures pidgin. (maybe a compile argument related to scim is missing?)
for now, just disable all IRC accounts in your pidgin so you can input chinese when IM'ing your friends. use x-chat as a separate solution for irc.
I have seen this behavior during F-9, but I am unable to reproduce it on F-10 with pidgin-2.5.2-1. Are you using pidgin-2.5.2?
i think someone planted a weird bug deep in fedora which causes various weird behaviors. for another example, when i move my mouse on one of the three GNOME menus (Applications, Places, System), the GNOME Terminal launcher icon on the same panel will automatically be brightened. i'm using ubuntu + Aurora Leopard BSM theme now and it's a lot more normal...