Red Hat Bugzilla – Bug 468111
Determination of outranking channels does not take file into account
Last modified: 2009-11-17 04:14:56 EST
Deploy a file (which is part of a configuration channel) to a system, which is subscribed to more than one config-channel. The config-channel which includes the file is _not_ the highest ranked channel, but none of the higher ranked channels includes the "same" file (same path and filename) / another version of the file.
You can not deploy an individual file to a system, which is subscribed to other higher-ranked channels, even if those channels do not contain the same file (which would override the file to be deployed).
1. Click on the "Configuration"-Tab and then on the "Configuration Channels" item in the sidebar.
2. Choose a config-channel and click on "Deploy Files" in the sub-navigation.
3. Click on one of the file names (e.g. /etc/ntp.conf) (-- DO NOT MISS this step.)
4. Click on "Deploy File" (see 1_Deploy_File.jpg)
5. Please notice, that the checkbox for e.g. bv-test02 is greyed out, because there is "1 central override".
6. Click on "Modify rank" and you will see the channels the system is subscribed to (see 2_Subscribed_Channels.jpg)
7. You can see that the system is subscribed to two channels, FMGbase (which contains the file we want to deploy) and star_ws.
I can not select the system to deploy the file, because there is a higher ranked channel. But this higher ranked channel doesn't even contain the "same" file (here /etc/ntp.conf), so this shouldn't be a problem.
It seems that the satellite is only checking if there's a higher ranked channel. What it really should do in this situation is to check
* if there is a higher ranked channel
* AND if that higher ranked channel contains the "same file".
Only then it should prohibit the deploy of the file.
On the other hand if you choose the Config channel, click on "Deploy Files", directly select the desired file(s) (see screenshot 3_ConfigChannel_File_Deploy.jpg) and click on the "Deploy Selected Files" button, you can
* choose the system
* the systems with higher ranked channels are not greyed out
* and the deploy of the file works as expected.
- Updated the query to only count a channel as outranking if it contains the same file; previously it counted all channels with a lower position.
Git Tree: 748ccc4a0a0df8dce3305a9ae737cc6c90571d43